XFree86 vs. Xorg

emh

X.org forked XFree 4.4rc2, which is the X.org xserver that now all distributions are using...

Alpha transparency was already in the very alpha status original Xserver, that functionality will get included into X.org in time.

true (alpha) transparency -and- shadowing are going to be in the next x.org release, which hopefully we'll see in the coming weeks. it's already in the RC's and the CVS. I've played with it, it was slightly unstable (this was the CVS, so it was to be expected), but it looked cool as all get out.

I don't think there's going to be any problem. But if you want to be extra careful, here is what you can do:

1. copy the directory /usr/X11R6 to /usr/XFree86

2. copy the directory /etc/X11 to /etc/X11

now you have backups of the Xfree86 installation.

3. install x.org (using rpms, tarballs, compile, whatever)

4. see if it works. You can use the old config file which is /etc/Xfree86/XF86Config-4. Copy this file over to the new /etc/X11/ folder and rename it xorg.conf

5. if you have problems, you can simply get back to your Xfree86 using the backups. (copy /usr/XFree86 to /usr/X11R6; the same with /etc/XFree86)

Of course, you'll need to know a little how to deal with no gui. But honestly, I don't think there's going to be a problem.