Internet woes

Drakain Zeil

I have fixed this problem, thanks everyone.

Well hello everyone, I have a problem.

This problem has to do with either my ISP or my network card, I don't know what one it is...

So, lets see if we can eliminate my possable network problem first.

I am running a computer with two network cards, however have disabled the 3com one, so that is not important, but what is, is my other card, which is set up as eth0 and is a NC100 Network Everywhere 10/100 PCI Ethernet Adapter that linksys no longer has support for. The drivers have been installed from mandrake 10's install CDs, and I also have a (old, by atleast 2 or more years) floppie disk with the same tulip.c driver (but havn't installed into kernel, since I A- don't know how, and B- mandrake has told me it already has done this).

So, the problem here, is I don't know if the card is working normal in linux (I know the card it's self works, since I'm using it on windows to post this [dual-boot system]). How do I check (or set up my Mandrake to let me investigate) if it is able to recive and send data?

As for my next problem, I'm using Bell Sympatico for my ISP, I'm using their high speed package... I've checked all accross google, other forums, and even this forum where I've seen that some one here is it, however nothing works for me, and well... my ISP doesn't have a great tech support page for it, and no, you're browser isn't broken, the files it tells you to download are not really there.

I have downloaded several PPPoE clients and programs galore that say they work with it, but none of them have proven to actually manage to establish a connection, therefore somthing must be wrong with me, because I've even searched specificly for mandrake support, and have seen other users who sware by one client or another to connect, and they use my ISP.

I really have no idea what to do... my connection times out and I get a [FAILED] due to a time out error, and overlapping onto my network problem, it gives a failure on bringing up eth0 interface previosuly to this.

If there's anything else I can tell you about this, please tell me, I really want to get my internet running on Linux.

:thankyousign:

EDIT:

Oh, I compleatly forgot to explain some more things...

I'm running a LAN with two other win98 machines running that I cannot change (because I'm 16, and my parents would kill me for changing it to a forgin OS on them). My lan consists of the computers hooked up via all the same network cards to a router, hooked up to a DSL modem, which then goes through to my phone line (and noise filter).

And I think that's all I really had to add here.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Edited by Drakain Zeil

First, as you have a router, you don't need PPPoE, so remove it in the software manager.

Disable plug and play in your BIOS - this has caused card recognition problems in the past.

Assuming tulip is the correct module for this card:

We need to make sure your network card module is loaded:

lsmod | grep tulip

should give you output something like "tulip 14380 1 (autoclean)". The exact output is not important - just as long as you get some output - no output means the driver module is not loaded.

You can load it with 'modprobe tulip'. May pay to 'rmmod tulip' first to remove it. Post the output of these commands here if it doesn't work.

Then have a look at the sticky posts at the top of the networking forum for more info and howtos.

Post any output and the contents of the files specified in the howto if you have any problems, and we would be delighted to help!

Good luck

Chris

Well, after running that command, I know my drivers are working...

[root@sympatico brian]# lsmod | grep tulip

tulip                  45248  0

And I'm reciving data from my card... Just look at the attachment screenshot.

So, now I'm really lost at what the problem is... o.O

I'm sure I set up all the correct information... I have the booklet directly infront of me and have done it several times.

post-6401-1092355757_thumb.jpg