"Microsoft sings a new tune on Linux"

arctic

Interesting article.

Microshaft seem to be changing their attitude, but lets not confuse that with the reason behind their attitude. Being the lying bully isn't working, so now they're trying the good cop, benevolent, friendly giant approach.

F**k 'em. They can take their smiles and jovial handshakes and shove it up their collective arses. I see right through that facade and the same ugly green monster with smelly breath is behind it. They've just become the pedophile that lures children with smiles and candy.

I's not falling for it - business as usual.

Allchin points to new features in the version of Windows due in 2007 that will allow users to remotely turn PCs on or off, with programs still running. Searches will extend across all data like e-mail, photos, Word. "We're creating things," he says.

Oh...so you're re-inventing VNC??? :P

Linux at some point could be good enough to run home PCs.

What...you mean it's not??? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?!? :P

Linux at some point could be good enough to run home PCs.

What...you mean it's not??? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?!? :P

I think he misspoke himself. He probably mixed up words and actually meant:

home PCs at some point could be good enough to run Linux.

:jester:

go along and read it....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5614334/

and then comment it, if you like. ;)

Look where it came from.... Forbes.com Which has consititantly printed false information about linux, they are a microsoft shill.

Anything printed from Forbes.com is taken from the point of veiw of the highest bidder.

Groklaw has some nice things to say about forbes here:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20031014204258580

Here is what slashdot has to say about forbes.com

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/14/1317...?tid=117&tid=99

yeah, it is pretty "old" and was published e.g. at yahoo and other popular sites. but nonetheless, i find it interesting that this story goes round and round in the net and gets published as "news". and it is even more interesting, if you look at it as a proof of the constant switching of microsofts policy. it looks as if they really don't know how to react to linux and linux based distros. are they unable to co-exist with linux and apple? it seems as if they don't want to although linux and apple are one of the best things to happen to microsoft, as they (ms) have to be creative again (something they forgot over time imho) and that they have to CARE about their everyday users.

Allchin points to new features in the version of Windows due in 2007 that will allow users to remotely turn PCs on or off, with programs still running. Searches will extend across all data like e-mail, photos, Word. "We're creating things," he says.

yes, it is a well known feature for linux-users already. but this is also maybe the best proof that linux and apple finally give microsoft a push in the right direction. now, you can say, in terms of competition that linux might loose one advantage over windows, but keep the big masses of windows-users in mind that are unwilling/unable to install another os on their box (as if they would know another os than windows...) but will get a better os due to linux and apple then.

i don't think that adapting linux and apple stuff for windows will kill off linux. it never will (due to security reasons and money-stuff). linux will be there for quite a loooong time. but evenso, i think that it is not linux' primary goal to "erase" windows and replace it. no, linux-distros should be the better desktop and server solution that constantly shows innovation and thus pushes other os's in the right direction.

how would microsoft put it in laymans terms ?

we can't beat it! and we can't join it! so we'll just swim along side it taking nips out of it where we can.

we'll incorporate its ideas and then remarket them wrapped up in a microsoft sweetwrapper as our own.

we can resell all the good bits as a new microsoft innovation!

heck microsoft can make billions out of linux!

remember "we are microsoft of borg and we will assimilate anything we can make a $ out of".

so they put insiders out there in the world to find out what they can "assimilate".

and call it busines strategy.

i call it software industrial espionage.

ooh will i get in trouble for my bit of free speech? :unsure: :jester:

sod em :lol2:

Someone hand me a barf bag. That article makes me sick.

When I switched to linux a year ago to most of my non-gaming functions Linux was a bit tough to work with, but now that I have it, everything but software installation is a piece of cake (i still can't get dosbox or dosemu to work on my laptop). They bull about how Linux is a clone of their technology when their technology is a clone of apple and unix technology. Anyone recognize all the simularities between bash and dos? (switching to bash was as simple as learning better commands) I think this might be good for Linux as people realize that there is something else out there aside from microcrap.

I think the thing that sickens me the most is the linux dude whos pockets are lined with microcrap money saying that Linux is worthless and a mismatch of jumbled roads leading to destruction (yah there is some justification, but the more i watch linux the more i realize that linux is the same os with different bells and whistles on each distro).

Hey, I think I found some sign of M$ innovation yesterday!

It is a mechanism designed to automatically break network (internet) connectivity at irregular intervals, in order to dissuade your employees from spending too much time surfing. To accomplish this, IIS sends you an error message instead of the actual http request). Of course, this innovative feature is only compatible with Internet Exploiter.

For what happens when you use Mozilla, see screen below.

Nice innovation huh? </sarcasm>

And, in order to fool the personnel using Mozilla into thinking everything is allright, they just take the URL of the webpage you want to go to and append it to the links in the current, obfuscated, page.

(i.e. there's something funny about the URL's, see Status Bar below in the screenshot)

Yessir! Three whole hours of innovation yesterday! Very convenient if you're a webmaster ! :wall: :wall: :wall:

yes, it is a well known feature for linux-users already. but this is also maybe the best proof that linux and apple finally give microsoft a push in the right direction.

So does this mean that Microsoft will now be coming out against software patents... or will they just apply for the patent for this? :devil: