Boot sequence freezes

Guest rudyanto

Guest rudyanto

Hi all,

I've been using for a few years now, and one of my machines running Mandrake 10 (2.6.2-3mdk on AMD Athlon 900MHz) had been running smoothly since February. The hardware itself is about 3.5 years.

Recently however, it'd freeze during the boot sequence. Sometimes, it freezes befoe the "Init" sequence starts, sometimes it'd freeze just before mounting filesystem, or when scanning the hard disks, or when mounting local loopback. After a reboot, or two, or three, it'd then successfully load Mandrake normally.

I searched the forum, but the freezing problem doesn't seem to be as random as what my machine exhibits.

Can anyone advise me on what kind of diagnostics to run? Or know what problem it may be?

Thanks,

Rina

I suspect that you may have a Memory problem. If you have multiple sticks of memory then one of them could be on the start of its way out. I had a similar experience with a set of Corsair twinex. The freezes became more often at boot up and also started to occur while using the system until finally it would not boot at all.

I tried each stick on its own and found one of the two would not work at all.

Returned both under warranty and they were replaced with new (sealed as new) set and have had no troubles ever since.

So try using one stick at a time and see if this isolates the problem for you. Often quoted memory testing is not particularly conclusive although it may be a guide.

Cheers. John.

Guest rudyanto

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try using my spare RAM stick; earlier a brand new RAM stick caused a freezing problem when the OS is already loaded and running.

And to answer that, illogic-al, i'm not overclocking the hardware.