speedtouch 330

hopeful

Hi

I can see from the board that the frustrating time I have been having trying to get speedtocuh installed is a common problem. I have tried to follow one of the messages but the address given for a file was no longer avaiblable. I have got into a huge mess and pickle over this so I think I need to go back to basics and start again;

- how do you install the USB ADSL modem with mandrake@?

- how do you establish the connection with the ISP?

I have tried to follow the steps laid out in install adsl but have got nowhere: I have copies mgmt.o itp /usr/share/speedtouch, I have set connection as PPOa as recommended by my ISP -Pipex-, but I cannot get KPPP to recognise it. It would probably help if I could estabilish where my modem is: is there a USB device manager under mandrake?

I have posted messages about this else where and have had good advice but I hope that given the speciality of this notice board I might be able to make more progress.

I would help if mandrake did not say that this modem is compatible, but gave a warning that installing involved a lot of work.

My system is a 500Hk, AMD K2, 3000 odd ram runing Mandrake community

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

I think back to basics was the charm for me. I too am a pipex/330 user and didn't get it working until after at least two OS reinstalls (overzealous perhaps, but wasn't taking any chances).

One thing i recall is bad experience with KPPP. I did (miraculously) have it working through simple GUI interaction at first, IE 'Set up a network/internet connection' dialogue. However, doing all those steps every time was a pain so I found and installed KPPP. I don't remember much about actually using KPPP, i think it was just a case of entering the same account info as before, but that's the point at which things got irrevocably borked, and I was in the same boat as all these other poor souls.

From that point on, i tried every suggestion here and elsewhere, including speedtouchconf, with nil success. Anyway, blah blah... here's what DID work:

Prerequisites:

Mandrake Speedtouch package (from disc)

Firmware: http://home.planet.nl/~andje000/mgmt.o (not sure if other drivers were a problem before, but this one definitely works)

No speedtouchconf, or any other rubbish like KPPP!

Shorewall disabled (there may be a config for it that works, but I don't know it yet).

First, go through the steps for connection through Control Centre. When prompted, give the driver from a floppy if you can (assuming this works as I don't have a floppy drive). Alternatively, you could copy mgmt.o into the /usr/share/speedtouch folder, which you may need to create, before this step. Choose PPPoA connection type.

On the account info page, add the Advanced info as follows.

VPI - 0

VCI - 38

There's another box whose name I forget, but its default setting is correct so leave it. Proceed with setup:

Start at boot: NO

restart network: NO

Try to connect now: YES (probably fails but worth a shot)

*Sidenote about network prompt: I suspect something about my ethernet card (eth0) caused problems here, so if you have one and are not using it, disable it or just don't touch any configs for it at all.

Assuming the connection failed, let's look at why. Open a Konsole (or terminal of preference) and type this: su , enter your root password, then:

kwrite /etc/ppp/peers/adsl

The second line should read

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoa3 -e 1 -c -vpi 0 -vci 38"

it should BUT IT DOESN'T, DOES IT? So replace the 56 with a 38. While there, just make sure your account username on the bottom line is correct. Save and close. My terminal spews some wacky error output at this point, but don't worry abot that. Next:

kwrite /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

kwrite /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

check these files contain the correct login details. The line should look like

'username@xtreme2.pipex.net' * 'password' *

in both files. Now, back in the Konsole, type:

modem_run -m -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o

If this doesn't make your modem lights cycle to green, I'm a Dutchman (and will therefore need different VPI/VCI numbers ;) )

Once the prompt returns, type:

pppd call adsl

wait as long as it normally takes your connection to go up (mine actually seems a bit quicker than on Windoze), then check the connection's presence with:

ifconfig ppp0

If the readout from this is about 6 lines of TCP/IP gibberish with the third line something like

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:16384 Metric:1

then you should be in business. Try a web page and let me know if you ain't.

hi Havin it

Thank you for the advice. It was with great anticipation that I carefully carried out each step laid out, thus it was with great disappointment when I got the following message at the end

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol

POINTOPOINT NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

It does not mean a lot to me but given it is minus running I presume I have a problem.

I see from spinynorman that speedtouch.confsh needs gcc which in on cd 4. I am using Community which does not have cd 4. Could this be the problem? Can I download gcc without downloading the whole CD?

When going through the network install the first window after clicking ADSl is " which net/main driver should I try". here I simply click next, then click again and then do previous which takes me back to a window that has the speedtouch ticked. Am I making a big mistake here. Is there something under "which net/main driver should I try" I should be looking for

your ever hopeful

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

Interesting. If you've installed speedtouchconf, it may conflict with my method (but I don't know quite what to do about that besides reinstall the OS...).

If you have the basic speedtouch package installed, you should be able to get to the same connection-setup wizard by going to MCC -> Hardware -> Hardware. If the Speedtouch modem is in the list, select it and click 'run config tool' and see if the wizard behaves the same way. If it's not in the list, you may have a bigger problem.

Would you mind showing us the output from the command 'lsmod'? (Again, you might need to su to do this).

hopeful -

A lot of problems seem to arise from trying to mix and match methods of configuring speedtouch, so stick with one before you try another.

When/if you come to use lets-eat-gary's method, you can use MCC software installer, with installation cd 4 as source, to identify the gcc rpm you need. There will be several starting gcc-, use the descriptions to select the one required to compile c and c++, and any dependencies it identifies.

Good luck.

I didn't have to use that particular link, but there was a spurious ')' in the original, which I have removed - the link in your post does work. :)

Hi Spinynorman

Is the 4th cd to the download version the same as the 4th cd on the official version. I ask this becasue I am wondering whether I should purchase the official version -from iotoline-. How long does it take to down load cd4 I am using 512k?

In my desperate efforts to get my speedtouch working I have manage to lose contact with my windows partition with grub -I tried to use SUSE pro but got no where and its was agonisingly slow- when I reinstalled mandrake. Stupid, very stupid I know but !!!!!

Is the 4th cd to the download version the same as the 4th cd on the official version. I ask this becasue I am wondering whether I should purchase the official version -from iotoline-. How long does it take to down load cd4 I am using 512k?

Yes, they are the same - it takes about three and a half hours to download.

I didn't have to use that particular link, but there was a spurious ')' in the original, which I have removed - the link in your post does work. :)

Get the flags out, break open the beers!!! I have done it, I am connected, after two weeks of trying, numerous installs and wiping out my windows partition. Yepeeee!!!!

Spineynorman I want to thank you especially, your help has got me through it.

But above all I have to thank lets-eat-gray. Simple straight forwards instruction

The trick was to follow the instructions you linked me to and not to untar the tar for the grey modem.

To all those desperately pulling their hair out to get speedtouch working, there is an anwer and lets eat gray has it.

However, I now have a couple of questions

-at present the connection is set up to open when booting up, however, I would like to have the ability to turn it on and off when I am working i.e., is there an icon or something that will allow this. It will also help my partner who I wanted to introduction broadband and Linux to. She does not have much experience with Linux and so I want to make things as easy as possible for here?

- I have read about problems with surewall and speedtouch any advice would be welcome

- one final question in my desperation I have used the erase the whole disk option and thus now have one partition, is it possible to reload windows?

Get the flags out, break open the beers!!! I have done it, I am connected, after two weeks of trying, numerous installs and wiping out my windows partition. Yepeeee!!!!

Spineynorman I want to thank you especially, your help has got me through it.

But above all I have to thank lets-eat-gray. Simple straight forwards instruction

Let's hear it for lets-eat-gary!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

- I have read about problems with surewall and speedtouch any advice would be welcome

They seem to have fixed it in 10 OE - I have just configured shorewall with no problems at all...

Navigate to System - Configuration - Configure your computer - Security - Firewall

Uncheck Everything [OK}

[prompt to install Shorewall from CD 1]

Net device already set to ppp+ [OK]

sygate.com to test

Done! - hope it works for you in 10 CE... :unsure:

Hi Spinynorman

Will configuring the way you suggest conflict with the fact I have already configured with lets-eat-gray? Shorewall says you need configure with drakeconnect.

Also when you use the system configure method it comes up with initially a whole load of different ways to connect, which should I use?

These are stupid question but I do not want to lose my connection again

Will configuring the way you suggest conflict with the fact I have already configured with lets-eat-gray? Shorewall says you need configure with drakeconnect.

lets-eat-gary' s method has connected you, you don't need to use drakconnect as well.

Also when you use the system configure method it comes up with initially a whole load of different ways to connect, which should I use?

I suspect that you've gone into 'Network & Internet' instead of 'Security'? :unsure:

Hi

Shorewall appears to be working. I tested it with sygate and got a sea of blue. However, sygae recommend that all ports should be blocked. How do I go about achieving this. I cannot find any sort of interface with Shorewall -outside of the installation process. Is it a question of putting the necessary ports into the advanced section of the installation and also adjusting the levels and permissions with the seperate programmes under security.

Also is there a command line I can use to connect and disconnent the broadband connection without having to turn the machine off?

Sorry to pester you but such progress has been made that I want to cross the Ts and dot the I

:thanks: