Root, and some questions

Drakain Zeil

I'm guessing this is where I should post this... hope it is, anyway...

Hello everyone, I just have a short question here... Is there any way for me to have root permissions while in X window? I know there is the terminal access from inside an X Window, but as for actually having root powers while not in terminal, well, what do I do?

I don´t want to mess around with root alot since I´m new to it, so I kept the user hidden, because as I said, I am new and therefore unsure of what could happen (and after installing mandrake over 10 times in two days, I don´t want to go through that again).

Also, would I be able to give a user that is not root, root powers? If so, how?

There is only one root, and none other besides it :devil:

but seriously...what is it you are looking to do? My suggestion is, if you want to run a GUI app as root, just open a terminal and use the command "su" to switch to root (enter password when requested) and then run the program. i.e., if i wanted to run mandrake control center as root, i'd do:

su
Password: [enter password]
mcc

of course, this requires you to know the executable name. However, mandrake control center and possibly a cd burning app are the only things you should need to run as root. Maybe a file manager or text editor...

What is it you want to run as root and why? Maybe we can provide some alternatives.

oh yes, and welcome to the board :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome.

Root would let me edit some files with a GUI, since I can't work VI or VIM as of yet... I'm having some problems and need to change pap and chap secrets, and some other files that I don't have access to write to... I just find it annoying that I can't open these things in somthing like KWrite, to change files... I'm new to linux and terminal uses, as I have said, so editing things isn't one of the easiest things for me...

Root would let me edit some files with a GUI, since I can't work VI or VIM as of yet...

kdesu konqueror

That will ask for root password and lauch konqueror as root.

Then you can browse your disk, got to /etc (most likely) and edit any config text file just double clicking on them.

Else if you really want to be able to log as root on the GUI, go to MCC->System->Connection manager (? Gestionnaire de connexion) and choose KDM instead of MdkKDM. Logout, reset X (Ctrl Backspace) and you may have the new connection manager that let you connect as root

Open a terminal. su to root. Type "mc".

You are now in a nice pseudo gui file manager from which you can navigate to files and make edits. Just look at the screen, and you will see the F commands in front of your face. Nothing to memorize! (although like everything, once you learn to use it you will know the commands!)