This is what ifconfig eth0 returned:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:E6:DC:B7:66

BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:16 Base address:0xe000

The installer didn't say that the packages were missing but that they couldn't be installed without saying a reason. I'm not sure how well they were burned because I made the stupid mistake of not checking the Verify Data in Nero. I used CDCheck afterwards but it found no errors. Do you know a better tool to check them ? I have the ISOs on my hd so if there is a way to verify the data please tell me.

Download the file ***md5. It will list the cd's in the first part and end with "md5. This file contains the md5sum numbers of each iso file. Tyoe "file.name.iso md5sum" at the command line and compare the number to the one listed in the downloaded file. It must match perfectly.

OK, I checked the MD5 sums and my ISOs' MD5 sums match the ones I downloaded. But my question is: How can I make sure that the CD is an exact copy of the ISO ?

Yes eth0 seems to work, although I get that alert in the toolbar telling me that the network is down...... :unsure:

The Internet gateway computer definetly works, otherwise how would I be talking to you now :D

I have Samba Client installed, but I don't think ping need samba ......

I'll try pinging some other LAN computers and post the results......

First lets verify your isos. Open a console and navigate to the directroy where the isos are located. Then run:

$ md5sum <iso name>

for each iso. It takes a while to run but the above should eventually output an alpanumeric string which you should check against the published md5sums of each iso which were on the mirror you downloaded from.

Edit: you posted before i did and aparrently verified your md5sums. As to verifying the burn, there's a lot of ways to do it but this is the most accuraate I've found.

Make an empty text file in your home directory and name it rawread. Copy and paste this text in rawread:

#!/bin/sh
device=$1

blocksize=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Logical block size is:" | cut -d " " -f 5`
if test "$blocksize" = ""; then
echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blocksize >&2
exit
fi

blockcount=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Volume size is:" | cut -d " " -f 4`
if test "$blockcount" = ""; then
echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blockcount >&2
exit
fi

command="dd if=$device bs=$blocksize count=$blockcount conv=notrunc,noerror"
echo "$command" >&2
$command

Open a console, su to root and run:

# chmod a+x rawread

That will make the rawread script executable. place the first install cd in your cd drive and run:

# ./rawread /dev/cdrom | md5sum

The md5sum should be the same as what you have for the iso. Rinse and repeat for all the cds.

Edited by pmpatrick

Long shot but try this. Reboot and as soon as you see the lilo screen hit the Esc key which will bring you to a boot prompt. At the prompt type:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

and hit the Enter key. That will temporarily disable acpi when you boot. Acpi can still cause a lot of problems even in the new kernels.

See if you can ping on your lan and access the internet. If it works, we can change your lilo.conf file to make the change permanent.

SUCCES !!! :cheesy::thumbs:

The network and Internet both work fine now.

THX a million pmpatrick.

But now there is one more problem ..... the errors I received during the installation process.

Edit;

I see that another guy, WannaBeGeek, has had the same problem during installation. In my case 4 packages couldn't be installed. Is there an installation log or something where theese errors were recorded ?

Edited by a13x

Easiest way to make the thing permanent so you don't have to enter those boot parameters every time you reboot is to go to start menu>System>Configuration>Configure your computer. You'll be prompted for your root password after which mandrake control center(mcc) will come up. In mcc go to Boot>Boot Loader and tic the force no apic and force no local apic boxes.

Re your problems with the script - you must be root to run it and you must be in the directory where rawread is located when you run it.

OK, I've tried again the script thing and now it seems to be working.

edit;

Bad news ......

CD 1 & 2 are ok but the other 3's MD5 sum is different from the ISOs'. This is strange because I received errors also when CD1 was used by the installer.

Edited by a13x

If you want to reburn cd-3, use k3b in your mdk install. When you burn an iso in k3b it will automatically compute the md5sum of the iso before the burn and it has an option to verify the burn which is activated by ticking a box at the bottom. Select that and at the end of the burn it will automatically do an md5sum of the burned cd and compare it to the previously calculated iso md5sum. If it checks out OK, k3b reports the burned cd and the iso are binary equal.