Possible bugs.....

a13x

I'm looking forward to install MDK 10 but I want to know if there are some bugs in the installation process that would prevent me from dual booting. I'm asking this because I tried Fedora Core 2 in the past and had some problems after the installation and was unable to boot WinXP afterwards. But I fixed those problems with ease.

If there are such bugs is there a way to avoid them somehow ?

THX in advance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes there have been cases that people where unable to boot into Windows after they installed Manrake, however for the large majority the installation was pretty painless.

If you don't want to take any chances, google for mandrake and your mobo and see what it comes up with.

Good luck.

It seems that Fedora added a "feature" that prevents dual booting. Some people have had no problems, other have. There is a fix, but if you are try linux for the first time, try Mandrake. I have never had a problem dual booting with it.

If you don't want to take any chances....

.....sell your computer :jester:

It seems that Fedora added a "feature" that prevents dual booting. Some people have had no problems, other have. There is a fix,....

that was no feature, that's a hard core, stupid devel, bug. Not all could fix it, and the same is true for mandrake. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Welcome to lin and win on the same sys. Note: Mandrake fixed their dualboot killer (Community) with its Official release. Fedora on the other hand still has not fixed FC2 (been a long time) and are almost done with FC3 :screwy:

I managed to install MDK 10, but I received several errors during the process :(. Something like 'Error installing **** package. Continue ? Yes No'

I managed to log in and configure some things but the network card refuses to work. What is the network card configuration file so I can configure it manually, because the GUI tool doesn't work ? I tried to configure it several times but without success. I know this because I ran ifconfig -a from the Konsole and things are not as they should be.

Well it's a Realtek RTL8100B LAN Chip incorporated in the motherboard (MS8147C).

Well, we use static IPs and we connect to the Internet through a server that acts like a router.

The thing is that the network card doesn't 'remember' the IP I asign to it nor the netmask.

Pls tell me what is the configuration file and where is it located.

Assuming you have one nic that is eth0, the config file is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. The driver for the nic should be loaded from /etc/modprobe.conf if your using a 2.6 kernel and /etc/modules.conf if your using a 2.4 kernel. There should be a line in there for your nic that looks like:

alias eth0 <module name>

Well, I checked the ifcfg-eth0 file and everything is OK, but I still can't access the network nor do I have Internet access. This is odd because I checked my configuration several times and it worked perfectly with Fedora Core 2. Why wouldn't it work with MDK 10 ?

Can you ping anything on your network? Try running these:

$ ping -c3 www.yahoo.com

PING www.yahoo.akadns.net (216.109.117.207) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from p20.www.dcn.yahoo.com (216.109.117.207): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=40.6 ms

64 bytes from p20.www.dcn.yahoo.com (216.109.117.207): icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=36.8 ms

64 bytes from p20.www.dcn.yahoo.com (216.109.117.207): icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=34.3 ms

$ ping -c3 216.109.117.207

PING 216.109.117.207 (216.109.117.207) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 216.109.117.207: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=49.1 ms

64 bytes from 216.109.117.207: icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=47.6 ms

64 bytes from 216.109.117.207: icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=38.1 ms

If you can ping the numeric ip but not www.yahooo.com you have a problem with the domain name server and you should check /etc/resolv.conf.

No I'm not running a firewall.

I checked the resolv.conf file and it's OK. The thing is, I can't even ping computers in my LAN !

I always get that warning in the toolbar that my network is down. I click to configure it and after that no matter how many times I configure the network it 'stays down'.

Edited by a13x