2nd hard drive

kilimanjaro

Yes, it should be no problem. Proper location is:

hda=primary master

hdb=primary slave

hdc=secondary master

hdd=secondary slave

(unless you are using raid!)

Diskdrake should indeed work fine for this particular situation. If you are nerveous about the tools, (they are a little messed up!), then use a manufacturer utility disk to install it. Then you can just manually edit fsta and make a mount point in /mnt.

Oh yeah. Try to split your cdrom devices on different ide channels. This can cause weird issues.

Hi IX, Steve

I am running my dvd ans primary slave, and my cdrw as secondary master. Before I had both harddrives on the same channel.

Should my second harddrive be master or slave?

I'm not quite sure what raid is, but I seen the word when I do verbose start up.

I think most problems usually occur because the jumper settings on the drives on not set correctly (Computer Select, Master, Slave, Single) or sometimes because the Masters are not at the end of the ribbon cable.

I would (and have mine set up this way) take the DVD player and add that to same cable as the CDRW. Your jumper settings should be fine --- as they are already setup the way we want here (as master/slave). These should be plugged into IDE 2. (this should be marked on the MOBO, if either ribbon is in a raid plug... then never mind me... for I know nothing of that sort of setup )

Before adding the other harddrive, I would reboot... just to be sure things go good at this point. (I don't change these things everyday, you know ;) )

Is there anything your saving on this new drive ? I would think you should just be able to plug it in, mount it, and be good to go. Just be sure the jumpers on the drive are set to slave and you use the middle connector on the ribbon cable for IDE 1.

The hard drive does not need to be a master, and I would recommend leaving your present cd device positioning alone. So, hda is first hard drive, hdb is your dvd, hdc is your cdrw, and hdd would be your new drive. Look at the jumper setting and make it read slave. Tell me the model /brand of the hard drive, and i'll verify the setting for you! B)

scoopy: I didn't realise that position on the cable had that much influence. I think I am starting to understand why I had problems before.

IX: It is a western digital WD400, on the label it says the second from the right is the position for slave.

It seems that the last time I was doing this I had problems with the cables reaching the correct drives, to have the master on the end, so I put the slave on the end. I think that might have been part of my problem.

What does computer select do?

Edited by kilimanjaro

Computer select works on some proprietary systems on a good day!! :lol:

The master at the end is for the new 100 - 133 ide. The older 33-66 ide did not care what was on the end. If your ide cable has a colored end (blue usually) and says it has to be in the motherboard, then your master should be at the end of the cable.

OK something is not working right.

What do I name the drive?

I tried:

/storage and I couldn't find the drive, and a new icon appeared on my desktop for hd and it had 190mb of space (40 gig drive)

/var/storage did the same

/home2 couldn't find it

is there something I'm missing?

How are you mounting it?

If it is called /storage (located as a folder on the first level of the tree) then fstab should say somethiong like "/dev/hdd /storage vfat 0 0" (I'm missing some stuff, but this ewould enable you to at least see the drive)

I usually place all mount points in /mnt, so my choice would be /mnt/storage

I tried:

/home/kilimanjaro/storage

and

/mnt/storage

and I got the same result, an icon on my desktop called /mnt/hd that only has 192 mb of storage.

Here is my current fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,sync,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

I was thinking that this change on the second to last line might help:

/dev/hdd/mnt/storage

Is there any way I can wipe the drive and see if that will take it to the correct size? I am wondering if old info on it is causing problems?

Edited by kilimanjaro

Change the line containing /mnt/hd to read /storage (or whatever mount point you created) and reboot. Or add a folder "hd" to /mnt and use that !!

It's an internal drive right? I really wonder why in the world would Mandrake use Supermount to mount an internal hard drive.

Anyway, if there is nothing in that harddrive, use diskdrake to format and make partitions and mountpoints as needed. I find that diskdrake makes is a heck lot easier than editing /etc/fstab by hand.