Best Version of XMMS?

sambo

I recently tried installing XMMS (the latest version), but found that it didn't work and crashed.

I remember reading somewhere that some versions of XMMS work better than others in mdk10.

Does anyone know which versions are better?

Which versions do you use?

Thanks.

xmms has always done this especially with kde. It is not any worse of an app then in the past. It is the most consistent, stable, media player, linux has ever had, w/o a doubt. Many are not using xmms because they think it sucks or crashes. It is not xmms's fault usually. Sure, it would be nice if xmms detected your sound settings/wm/de at first start, but who wants to code it and who want the extra baggage/buggage? The best thing in my opinion would be for xmms to ask you at first start what your setting are. At least that way, users would know that maybe they didn't select the rt settings.....they can google and find out what the right setting are for them......bla bla bla.....

Edited by bvc

If your XMMS is crashing when trying to play an mp3, make sure your shortcut/ menu shortcut command line is just "xmms" and not "soundwrapper xmms" or something like that. I think the rpm install, or the xmms install with Mandrake puts that command line in the shortcut, and it doesnt work.

Besides that, and the minimizing thing/bug, XMMS owns.

Latem

I wish it would minimize to the system tray, but I've been wishing that for years. I thought I saw a wrapper for XMMS once that would do that, but it needed to be compiled into KDE or something, which had me hitting the back button as fast as my little fingers could click!