XP problem after installing mdk10

Guest iklop

Guest iklop

Hello,

Recently I added a new hdd to my comp and installed mdk10 on it while having xp on my original hdd. I can boot into mdk fine, but when I try to boot into xp I only get as far as the loading screen. Then when it would normally go to the screen to choose the user it goes black and my monitor goes into power save mode (usually meaning the computer is going to sleep or is turned off with the monitor on). However, I can boot into xp in safe mode. Any ideas on what would cause this or how to fix it? I'm very new to the whole linux thing so any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced,

Steve

Take the first Mandrake cd, boot with it, and at the splash hit F1. Type "rescue" at the command prompt and choose "restore mbr" or restore windows boot" or some such wording. Reboot, and if windows works, switch to grub, using the above method ( choose Install boot loader) If that doesn't work and windex has borked itself, then use the windex disk to repair windex and then reinstall the boot loader, again with rescue mode from the first cd.

where have you been? Community borked everyones dualboot and Official has done it as well. It's Linux folks (actually windows fault though). It's the very nature of running a real OS alongside win. Any distro can do it because guess what.....it's a combo of a million hardware configs and the bootloaders, not the distro.

• 2 weeks later...

referring to OE, the problem was fixed basically making the situation one that has alwayse occured when these 2 os's are put on the same box, and will continue to happen until windows stops writting it's own standards in a world were people still want a choice, and the other kids on the block play by the rules while it doesn't. Yes, windows fault :P

why are ppl still installing and/or talking about rc's/beta's or CE? :wall:

links are old! This is linux, where bugs are rapidly fixed.....not 3 months later like win :mr-green:

if you downloaded a 3 month old version......download ML-10-Official Edition.

Edited by bvc

Guest spolarium
why are ppl still installing and/or talking about rc's/beta's or CE?

Because I am just a n00b trying out Mandrake 10. Did not have this possible problem when I dual booted XP and RH9. Please don't be too hard on me :P

links are old!

Yeah, but Googling about XP and Mandrake 10 dual boot problem brought me to these links. Sorry about that.

This is linux, where bugs are rapidly fixed.....not 3 months later like win

Yes, thanks for clearing this up. Did not find the link that OE has solved this problem. Thanks again.

Edited by spolarium