Swap Partition?

TheSquire

Yes, mainly if you it will have 256MB RAM or less

SWAP makes the following account RAM + = 512MB With 512 MB.

With 512 MB you have OpenOffice + KDE + juk + Mozilla with some open borders +

Kopete, and surplus still sufficient memory

It depends on the size of its HD one will be great it makes a partition SWAP of 64 MB alone to say that it has or then nor it makes you has much memory RAM

I have 512MB and still use the swap. 100 or 200 mb of hd space is not worth not having a swap if needed. Create one. Oh, and no fs has to be primary ;)....it's the OS that requires a partition to be primary and win98 is the only one I personally have used that does.

Edited by bvc

You hit on a great debate in todays world of cheap memory, as ram gets cheaper the apparent need for swap seems to decrease, (I can't remember the last time my computer showed the swap being used).

However,

I would not want to get caught without just yet, I have a gig's worth of ram, and keep a 750MB swap, I don't really miss the space. I guess the simple answer is if you ever do max out your ram, the swap will save your butt and keep things running

Capn

600MB is nothing today.

Agreed, I would rather have too much swap and never need it than not have enough and have a program fail because of it. I truely don't believe I need the 750MB swap I have, but I keep it larger for sanitys sake as well as on a 30 gig drive, I don't miss it.....

Capn