The Many Mysteries Of RPMDrake

Havin_it

Weel, where to start...

I found a page about upgrading MDK 10 CE to Official using RPMDrake (having trouble finding the site now unfortunately...) Anyway, I'd just done a clean format and reinstall so I thought I'd give it a go.

The process involved finding a working mirror (clubinternet.fr in this case), installing the mandrake-release-10.0.4-1mdk (or close to that) RPM from the OE folder, restarting, getting all the 'upgradeable' installs from the 'main' source (~700MB), then the latest kernel (2.6.3-15), then getting everything available from the updates source (~550MB).

However, things don't seem as stable as previously, when I was simply updating CE. For example, a bug in RPMDrake causing GUI instability with a permanent busy cursor and faulty scrollbars has not been fixed. Also, there are certain packages which are neither installed (according to search in 'remove' section) nor available (in 'install' or 'update' sections). These include KLaptop, perl-base (which I thought I'd installed initially) and libc.so.6 (basically some quite intrinsic packages I would have thought).

Any thoughts on this? Did I do a BAD thing employing this method? How best to proceed - I don't really want to reformat again if I can avoid it, but I guess if I do it should be soon befor I get comfortable again.

Since you have the sources already added (I assume you added main, contrib, plf, and update sources to do this update, right? ), open up a console, su to root and type the following:

urpmi.update -a

That will download new hdlists, if any are available. Once that is done, type this:

urpmi --auto-select

That will give you the packages that are available to upgrade to current versions. Verify the list, and press Y <enter> to start the install. Depending on how many updates there are, and the speed of your internet connection, it could take some time. Taht will install everything EXCEPT the kernel. You have to do that separately (urpmi kernel).

IF you don't have one of the sources for 10.0OE that I listed above, head to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and add them.

Thanks, I think this is getting me somewhere as the command-line approach retrieved 2 packages that weren't detected by RPMdrake (MandrakeGalaxy and Kapacity).

I don't have a PLF source, as clubinternet.fr was the ONLY working FTP I could find on Friday after the reinstall, and it doesn't seem to have such a section. Its contrib source seemed a bit small as well...

I will try easyURPMI again, but the sites it listed brought me no joy on Friday. Was something major happening that day/Thursday night, like a mass updating or somesuch?

club-internet has a plf mirror. It's in the list.

This board does as well, actually.

As for Thursday night/Friday morning...not sure. Updates to most of the servers happen on a nightly basis. You might have tried in the middle of an update.

The result of your suggestions was 10 more updates found that RPMDrake didn't find. My previous failures in setting up sources were attempted thru RPMDrake, so I'm sarting to wonder whether RPMdrake is just seriously buggy ...

That being the case, can I execute a search with URPMI as I would with Perl Package Manager?

Edited by Havin_it

This has been an interesting thread.

I recently updated my system via drak control centre and downloaded nearly 500 meg of updates. And if I go now to check it says that the list is empty meaning that my system is up to date!!

BUT, if I follow your commands via the terminal, "urpmi --auto-select " it shows that there is another 530meg of updates that I need to install. Is the terminal more accurate than the Control Centre or what?????

Thanks for any replies

In RPMdrake you can make a selection for 'security updates', 'normal updates' and 'Bug updates' (translated from Dutch by me so might not be actualy named like that :) ). --Auto-select selcts all 3 options at once. That is why you see probably more packages when you use the CLI then when you use the MCC.

I wouldn't add PLF on my repository list when I do an --auto-select. Some packages (fontconfig) will seriously mess your computer experience.

Good luck :)

@devries: my experience doesn't back that analysis, as I routinely checked all 3 boxes when using RPMdrake. I had previously thought that it was simply a graphic frontend for executing urpmi commands, but apparently it's not that simple.

I tell you, we will never beat Kermit and his minions until the GUI gets more user-friendly :help:

Anyway, my primary concern is getting rpmdrake fixed, at least to the point achieved by the bugfix update I previously had for CE, to fix the cursor and scrollbars in the GUI. Going through urpmi doesn't get any updates for this either...

I had previously thought that it was simply a graphic frontend for executing urpmi commands

I thougt that too :)

Maybe the 500MB new packages are from other sources then 'update'? .Try urpmi --media update --auto-select and urpmi --media contrib --auto-select to see what is installed from what source.

If all else fails try downloading and installing them by hand. These http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17276 are the packages I've installed. However, I still have the busy cursor in MCC in the software section (but with a bit of aiming it is possible to tick packages).

Good luck