Can't access the CD ROM

Guest BlanK

Guest BlanK

Hi,

Hi to everyone, I am new to Mandrake to this forum :D

Btw I am having some problems with Mandrake 10 installation. I manage to boot from the CD-ROM but after checking for USB devices it gives me an error. :help:

Here is the error from the LOG:

hdc: media error (bad sector): status 0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete error}

hdc: media error (bad sector): status 0x34

end_request: I/O Error, dev hdc, sector 64

Is it because of my CD ROM? Currently I am using an OEM CD ROM no brand. Or is it because of the CDs. I downloaded the ISO from linux-mandrake.com mirrors, and I didn't check for md5sum. Currently I am trying to chek it, but I have no idea of the correct md5sum values :wall: I did burn the cds on 40x speed though.

here is my comp spec:

Athlon XP 1800+

CD-ROM Drive/F5D

Any idea on this problem? Thanks....

BlanK

Edited by BlanK

Guest BlanK

Hi,

Thanks Partrick.... I have downloaded the file, and the checksum of every ISO are the same.

Should I try to burn the CDs again? Thanks.

Edited by BlanK

hi BlanK and welcome aboard.

I manage to boot from the CD-ROM but after checking for USB devices it gives me an error

have you any usb-devices plugged in during installation? if yes, try to install without any usb-devices plugged in. if that fails, it could be that you have a bad burn. but, before you restart burning, give us all available data of your hardware (harddisk, network devices, graphics card) you can get your hands on. maybe there is some hardware conflict, too. I don't think it comes from the cd-rom, because you can boot from it.

good luck :thumbs:

Guest BlanK

Hi,

Thanks artic, I did attach some of my USB stuffs. I will try again without it.

Here is the list of my hardwares:

1. AMD Athlon XP1800+

2 512 Mb RAM

3 Hard Disk: a. Western Digital 80 Gb, 5400 rpm IDE as Master

b. Maxtor 40 Gb, 5400 rpm IDE as slave

(both sharing the same IDE cable, where the jumper being set to

cable selections)

4. Abit Nvidia Geforce 4 ti 4200 64Mb

5. Realtek RTL8139 fast ethernet 10/100 mb card

6. Creative Sound Blaster Live Value

7. OEM CD ROM as master on IDE 2 (cable selection)

8. Abit KR7A-133 motherboard (with no built in network, graphic, or sound card)

I do have extra USB ports attached to motherboard, but I don't think this may cause the problem, but anyway I will give it a try :D

Thanks,

BlanK

Guest BlanK

Hi,

Thanks Pzatch, I have tried to disconnect every single USB devices, and I have tried to burn the CD again using 4x speed, but somehow I am still getting the same error... :wall:

I will keep on trying though, hopefully I can make it to work somehow..... If anyone is experiencing the same problem, and know how to solve this, I will gladly accept any suggestions... :mellow:

Worst scenario is that I have to use floppy disk, but unfortunately my floppy drive is not working.... :wall:

Edited by BlanK

Guest BlanK

Hi,

A bit of hope I just surf the google, and manage to find a person having an identical problem.

Here is the link:

http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55465

Though it says about bad checksum, but I did check mine using winMd5Sum, and when I compare the result, it is the same. Any other good tools to check MD5?

Thanks in advance,

BlanK

Hi,

Thanks Pzatch

I downloaded Mandrake 10 ISOs at my office, burned it to CD and it is working. I will try to use the same CD, on my PC at home. Hopefully it'll work.

Hi all,

I am using the same CD from my office, and it still gives me the same error :wall:

But at least, now I know that this is due to my hardware (or maybe my CD ROM). I will post the results once I manage to fix this :D

Thanks to all.