Trouble with DHCP - mdk 10

Guest mizterbob

Guest mizterbob

I just installed Mandrake 10 and I'm very pleased the setup went much better than previous versions.

I have a 3com 3c905-tx connected to my cable modem router (SMC Barricade) which provides a DHCP server. All my windows computers get their IP by DHCP just fine.

When I first stared this Linux system, internet did not work. The icon in the KDE system tray shows an exclamation point and says 'service not available, click on configuration' which I did a few times and tried various settings but it made no difference. Also when I ran ping, even to local computers, it would fail.

However if i run "ifup eth0" everything would work and I can browse in konqueror but system tray still shows exclamation point.

Just now I rebooted and for some reason everything is working without my running "ifup" or anything, but system tray still shows exclamation point.

How can I get this thing configured correctly? I'm new to Linux.

hi mizterbob and welcome.

did you try to get net access without your firewall enabled? have you enabled net access (as root) for the different users? (can be done via mandrake control center, networking section.)

also take a look at streeters marvelous guide: http://web.onetel.net.uk/~showerail/simple_net_setup.html

this guide usually does the trick.

if you still have problems, we will be here to help you through the muddy waters. :)

good luck :thumbs:

Edited by arctic

Guest mizterbob

Well I switched to a static IP, so tcp/ip is now working. However I still get the exclamation point in the system tray. And I wonder why DHCP didn't work.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest greythorne

Hi all,

im new to this forum. i was using FC2 but then made the switch to mandrake-10.0. i have this network problem that i thought i could get the answers here. well when i first installed mandrake i was able to connect to the net and do security updates, surf the net and so on, but you see when i restart my computer i was no longer able to connect to the net. i tried everything in the network option in the MCC but nothing seems to work. im on cable connection, i believe that is DHCP besides im using tulip as the driver for my network card which is connected to the system in the PCI slot. there is no linux driver available for this card!!. i dont know what else to provide here(i mean information) anyway let me know what infor is required for you guys to solve this problem so that i may provide to you. btw i faced this problem before and what i did was to reinstall the entire mandrake installation just to get my internet connection working, now that i have found this forum im going to wait to find answer to this problem and why it only happen to mandrake and not to other distribution like FC1, FC2, SUSE and slackware which i tried, before finally moving to mandrake!

any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Edited by greythorne