changing group and ownership

Does anybody know if it's possible to change the group and ownership of an entire directory and its contents (subfolders or files) at once?

i.e.: I have a dir named "mymp3"full of songs and they belongs to root' s group and ownership. When I try:

chown william mymp3 
chgrp william mymp3

only the mymp3 dir is affected by the commands, the contents inside the folders not.

Thanks.

I think you need the -R parameter to operate on files and directories recursively... :)

Yeah, before posting I had tried adding -R to the command, but it didn't work.

edited to insert the output of the commands:

[root@localhost storage]# chgrp william mymp3 -R
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/miles davis - prelude to a kiss.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Pharoah\'s Dance.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Moon Dreams.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Human Nature.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/miles davis - freddie freeloader.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Prelude To A Kiss.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Pharoah\'s Dance.mp3': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of `mymp3/Miles Davis/Miles Davis/Miles Davis - Moon Dreams.mp3': Operation not permitted

Edited by william

some quick questions:

- do you have enough permissions (the owner) to change the file attributes?

- do you have enough permission to change it to target group (are you a member of the target group)?

- the filesystem is not by any chance fat32?

thats it. sorry i have only been speed reading. too much work.. :(

ciao!

some quick questions:

- do you have enough permissions (the owner)  to change the file attributes?

- do you have enough permission to change it to target group (are you a member of the target group)?

- the filesystem is not by any chance fat32?

thats it. sorry i have only been speed reading. too much work.. :(

ciao!

This is a FAT32 partition. :wall:

Edited by william