Newbie: Bootsplash on Mandrake 10/ Kernel 2.6.7-2?

Guest weeguy

Guest weeguy

Hi,

finally took the leap and installed Mandrake 10 onto my newly acquired ibm thinkpad x31.. installation was not without problems (failed to setup my screen settings properly and got it right after the 2nd install).. anyway, got my x31 to dual boot winxp pro and mandrake 10.. hahaz..

did some updating of the kernel to 2.6.7 from the preloaded 2.6.3.. however, once i did that, the booting and shutdown sequences switched over to verbose mode(showing all the text)... how do i get it to revert back to the silent mode(shown below)?

mandrake_boot2_thumbnail.png

Was looking around and realised that i might have to get bootsplash from http://www.bootsplash.org and patch the kernel source, compile it and reinstall the kernel right?

Edited by weeguy

did you update your kernel from source or via the mandrake-mirrors?

i would recommend to reinstall bootsplash via urpmi first (urpmi bootsplash), because it can be that the bootsplash-linking was overwritten/(deleted) during the kernel update.

Guest weeguy

got the following error when i tried draksplash.. is there any other package i have to install before using draksplash?

"Can't locate object method "new_text" via package "Gtk2::ComboBox" (perhaps you forgot to load "Gtk2::ComboBox"?) at /usr/sbin/draksplash line 393."