problem with desktop when booting

maxgravitt

When I boot into Mandrake 10, it does not boot all the way into KDE as it used to. Instead, I get a blue background for 3 quadrants of the monitor and the bottom right quadrant is a command prompt. I am able to enter commands into the command prompt, but I am unable to start KDE from here.

I was even able to run Unreal Tournament from this command prompt and it worked fine, so I don't think it is a fundamental problem with my graphics card or monitor, etc.

Has anyone seen this issue and/or have any advice for its resolution?

thanks in advance!!

Max

try the following:

log in as root, then run "XFdrake" and set up your display-mode. it seems as if your gui got disabled somehow. then reboot, maybe it works.

I ran this and my settings seemed correct. Then, I clicked "Test" and I saw the colored background fine. However, when I logout and reboot, I still get the same problem.

When I boot into Mandrake 10, it does not boot all the way into KDE as it used to.  Instead, I get a blue background for 3 quadrants of the monitor and the bottom right quadrant is a command prompt.  I am able to enter commands into the command prompt, but I am unable to start KDE from here. 

-did it just stop?

-apply any updates?

-New video drivers?

If no, have you tried another user? root?

have you from init 3

mv -f ~/.kde ~./kdeOLD

and tried?