How did you meet Mandrake Linux ?

luizmdk

It's scary but my story's kinda similar to thyme's (heheheh).

First time I ever used a computer I was 15 and in a library, It was a windows computer and I did something and got a BSOD. I ran outta the library as fast as I could and didn't touch another computer till a year later when my mom bought her own.

One more year and I got my own PC for college so I started messing around with windows a lot. I'd gotten bored w/ windows seeing that I'd gone as far as I could go w it. I knew how to mess w/ the registry and crap like that but it still felt restricted. I'd also gotten interested in hacking (which I later found out to be cracking) and heard that unix was the thing for hackers to use (which was true, hackers in the real sense though, not crackers).

Almost year later I went to work for this place that had a Sun box, the thing'd been up for two years without a reboot (which utterly astounded me) but was but ugly (which utterly repulsed me). Right about then Windows XP was getting ready to be released and I got all excited about learning a new OS and got my mom to sign up for the Beta Testing program. I'd also started playing with linux as I had used it on one of the machines at work They had redhat and caldera openlinux installed. I didn't use either of them much but thought they looked interesting. So they stuck in the back of my mind.

Then windows XP got released, Woo! I'd been using the RC for a couple months now and had gotten quite comfy with it but the bastards initially decided that the Beta testers couldn't upgrade to XP and had to buy new versions. So I wrote an e-mail (to the beta program) basically saying Go **** yourselves! If I don't get to upgrade to XP from the Betas I'll either Pirate XP or use linux. I tried using linux but I'd gotten redhat and it didn't work so well. Got everything but X installed.

So I pirated XP instead :D (god bless edonkey and Devil'sOwn). But XP had started pissing me off in it's own right and I'd happened upon a copy of Caldera Openlinux. I started reading up after using Caldera and saw numberous references to MDK

Well, the rest as they say is history.

:cheesy:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My story:

Changed job last summer. Previousely worked several years for a Microsoft Sertified Partner, so I was a typical "Microsoft will rule the world" kind of guy... had every Win-version, PocketPC, MS SmartPhone, the works...

In my new job I suddenly had to install software on customers UNIX-servers :unsure: So I thought to myself; I need to learn some basics! And I thought, what better way than to install Linux right?

So I downloaded Knoppix. I wanted to "feel" the desktop. I thought it was great! Now I needed to choose a distro, I wanted something that was easy to install so I wouldn't give opp so fast... after a little "google'ing" I ended up with Mandrake 9.1.

Guest vandam

here it goes:

A few months ago (march - april) I finally bought a new HD, the 30 gig 5400 was seriously to small (duh), so I ordered it at my local pc-shop, but I had to wait a few days.

In the mean time I had back-upped al my data on another comp. And because now there was no risk of losing anything important I thought to myself "Why not test linux?". I had read and heard good things about it (stable, better suited for my relatively old comp, etc.).

Googled a bit, read some good things about Mandrake and Suse (being the best for beginners).

Downloaded Mandrake 10 CE, installed it without any problems, which was a relief to me, seeing that there were all those posts on different sites and forums about installation problems.

Played around a bit with both kde and gnome, liked it a lot (mainly because everything was so 'new' to me).

But then the new HD arrived, and because I had (a few) exams coming up, I decided to only install WinXP on it, and postpone the "fooling-around" with linux till after my exams. Avoiding distractions, or so I thought because I ended up spending/waisting a lot of my precious study time on different linux-related sites ;) . At that time I was still convinced that I would need a lot of time to get used to linux, and that windows would stay my main-os, at least for a while (moeha, was I wrong )

Two months later, exams well and truly over. Started to get more and more annoyed with windows. Winamp stuttering when I tried to open firefox, all that sh**. Read somewhere that Mandrake 10 OE was out. Downloaded, again installed it (dualboot) without any problems (big relief,part two).

Had some minor problems (did some stupid things in Menudrake etc) but the tips and tricks section here helped me out a lot of the times.

Now I spent 90 % of my computering on linux. The only reason I keep WinXP around is 1 game (Championship Manager) and because I like to re-check the papers I make in OOo in OfficeXP before I hand them in. (Had some problems with to much space's between words).

So once I get winex working /or ignore my CM-addiction, and get that Open Office problem sorted out, windblows could well and truly be out of here :D

In 1998 (I think) I downloaded a copy of Mandrakelinux 5.2 - via dialup. A friend has introduced me to RH a couple of years earlier and I wanted to try something else. From there, despite switching distros a few times, I have continually returned to Mandrake. He is an old friend, peaceful and stable, who keeps me on track

Here's my story (Life of Brian :mr-green: ). Once upon a time...well some years back, to be more specific 5 years back...ehem, yes...One of my friends told me that he had hacked a railroad computer (though it had a backup so no harm done), and I asked how he done that and that was where he introduced me to the world of Linux, but I was not interrested. A year later I ran into Corel Linux and I thought: "Cool, I give it a try". It all went fine untill I read that M$ just screwed Corel Linux up...No more Corel Linux :angry: My first experience with linux (2 months)....and went back to win98.

A month ago I went beserk with an axe on my XP Pro and decided to give Linux another chance, so I simply ask in the forum I usually hang out (Dominions 2 Forum) and ask into which Linux I should choose, sum sumarum Mandrake :)

.....and they live happily everafter....

a friend was using mandrake, he told me it's alot better than windows. showed me some screenshots and told me a little about it. i liked what i heard and saw. and since my isp hosts the popular distros (ie: mdk + redhat etc) i decided to give it a shot. i know use mdk 10 for everything except gaming.

Happened in Jan. of this year. I spent about 3 1/2 hours on the phone with MS tech. sup. for a networking problem with no solution (later found out that another piece of MS software deleted zero conf. file). I was in a pissy mood and my IT guy, and personal friend popped in to say hi. I proceded to tell him what a piece of crap Windows was, and he reccomended I try another OS. I knew of Mac and had used it in college but didn't like it much. Other than that I hadn't heard of any other OS. He came to my house later that evening with 3 cds (MDK 9.1 or 9.2). We installed (dual boot) on my home computer, and everything worked right off. He had never messed with Linux and I hadn't either. I asked him how much I owed him for the OS and he told me it was free. He then explained the whole open source concept to me and introduced me to a community of people that shared and helped improve each others work and then made available for others to enjoy. I found this site and about a month later, completely removed my windows partition. And here I am today. So my Mandrake experience is also my Linux experience.

Since that time, I have been able to convince a couple of other buddies to try Linux, and then installed on their machines, I've switched the AV controll computers in my church to Linux, and just finished building my first computer, designed especially for Linux (put MDK 10.0 OE on that one).

I've always been curious about Linux. I've always heard how much better it is than Windows in terms of stability and reliability. Plus, I really resent the way Microsoft wants to patent EVERYTHING computer related. Some friends of mine told me about Linux and they recommended I try Mandrake, since it's easy for beginners. I got a couple of beginner Linux books and both recommended Mandrake for beginners. So.....I ordered it about a week ago and now I'm running Mandrake 10.0 as my primary OS. :) I like it a lot so far. I'm going to go for my Linux+ and LPIC level 1 certifications so I will understand Linux on a deeper level. The Linux community seems so much friendlier than the world of Windows. I'm glad I made the switch. :thumbs: