How did you meet Mandrake Linux ?

luizmdk

I met Mandrake Linux when i made a course of Assembly and Maintenance of Computers, in the day of the installation of the operating system.

The teacher spoke that would be Windows 98 but that could be another like Linux, oh I said that wanted to know Linux on that day I only knew that he existed and that had a lot of them as Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian.....

The teacher indicated Kurumin Linux (based on Knoppix) for rotating direct of the cd and to recognize a great hardware variety I made the download of Kurumin and I liked for oh and I went reading sites of another distributions of Linux, I saw an article on Mandrake Linux saying that is returned to beginners and for desktop, I made the download of the 4 cd of the version 10 Community.

It is today Mandrake it is mine favorite OS

Any orthographic mistake informs me :jester:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got sick of learning Html only to find I needed gazillions of tweaks and could not use certain very cool features, e.g. of CSS. This was back in the IE4 and IE5 days. I found an alternative web browser, Opera, which rocked! Then I read about Linux on some websites and they mentioned how M$ were screwing customers and companies. Then I found out about M$ bullying tacticts: the people they were right (could not believe it at first). I got sick of that also... which is why I was determined to have as little to do with that as possible.

I tried a few distros, notably Lycoris which was a bit of a disappointment. Then I found distrowatch and Mandrake was on top of the list, and highly recommended for newbies. I bought the 9.0 Powerpack and downloaded 9.1, 9.2 and 10.0

Darkelve

P.S. I'm on SuSe 9.1 now, but as this article corcerns Mandrake, here is my story. I am very greatful to Mandrake because I learned a lot in that distro. The things I learned there really made my experiences with other distros much easier!

Edited by Darkelve

okay, how did i get to mandrake?

it all began some time ago when in a chat, a friend of mine, an administrator told me that if i have so many problems with viruses and bugs in windows, i should switch to mac or linux. okay, i use mac os9 at work and i don't like it. it hangs up, is slow and the one-button mouse is nothing for me. so i gave linux a chance. i was told that suse should be okay for newbs. so i went to a newspaper-stand and bought an easy-linux magazine, shipping suse8.1 along. i thought ... hm... not bad, but somehow unfamiliar. then came suse8.2 and i bought it together with some friends, they continue using suse, but i wasn't completely happy.

i began to check out distrowatch. i spend way too many hours there and downloaded like hell. many cd's burned, some broken of course. in the end i had a big package that i gave a thorough testing.

-redhat 9 (didn't like my hd much),

-fedoracore 2 (boy, slow and buggy at that time),

-yoper v2 (fast like hell, but ... where is the office suite?),

-arklinux (didn't even recognize my other partitions!),

-lba-linux (buggy, bad fedora-clone),

-knoppix (only as rescue-cd used),

-suse 9.1live (didn't lure me back to suse),

-gentoo 2004.1 (installation and administration/configuration was imho a mess),

-conectiva 10 (why didn't they write, there is only spanisch, englisch and portugese language available? and their servers were damn slow) and

-mandrake 10.

of all these distros, mandrake became my favorit although adapting to it was at first a love-hate relationship (because things were so different in suse and redhat). but after a month or so, i knew halfway, how things worked in mandrake. since then, i didn't expereience any dramatic problems that couldn't be solved somehow. my impression is: mdk10 feels responsive, is very usable for my everyday-work and i think that it will stay on my box for a long time. (at least i hope so) :)

Edited by arctic

I've always hated M$

Started hearing about Linux occasionally on www.legomindstorms.com

Found some Linux site on google

emailed the guy and asked for a good beginner distro (only really knew of redhat at the time)

he recommended mandrake

Finally, after my family got a new comp with windoze XP, I decided that was it, I'm going to linux...I bought a 30gig (I think...mebbe 20... :P) hard drive thinking 'ok...this is probably gonna be a waste, but it'll be cool'...and it was awesome... :P

dental surgeon gave it to me

:lol2:

example from the literature of the medical plant mandrake:

»Alack, alack, is it not like that I,

So early waking, what with loathsome smells,

And shrieks like mandrakes' torn out of the earth,

That living mortals, hearing them, run mad--«

(Shakespeare, Romeo ans Juliet 4,3,45-48)

For me, I heard some computer radio show mention linux, got curious had a friend download Red Hat 7.0. He diddn't burn the ISO's right sso I had 3 coasters. Went to Walmart aand Bought Mandrake 7.2. Installed it and........................................................

Haaad no cclue what to ddo at all. I did managee to install UT, but it raan very bad (what do you mean 3d drivers :wall: )

I kept on reading up on Linux, finally decided to givee it a another try last June with Mandrake 9.1, with much better results, thanks to this board.

aw ML-8.1 at walmart, googled, told the wife, she bought it for me on our anniversary

Good Wife!

I was interested in Web Servers and I wanted to see how linux fared in that area. Since it was advertised as the best. So I bought Mandrake 10 community of ebay and gave it a whirl and I like'd it so much it became my DESKTOP!

Then about 3 monts later I upgraded my hardware and Mandrake didn't support it well (buggy and crashing). So I tried Fedora Core 2 and here I am now.

But I am very dissapointed with Yum ATM, I'm getting tons of errors.

I was using RH7.0 after slack 2.0-and various RH from 5.1 then they changed the glibc....

Oracle was pretty important right then I was doing lots of devel work and it wouldnt install on RH7....

I googled about and found Mdk already had the glibc.so.6 and was meant to be similar to RH and well here I am...

hmm, I have founded a Linuxstarter book in a local bookshop, It included a red hat distro (think 8). But It didn't recognized my modem so I went working with windows again. After that I discovered the live cd's, and tried suse live cd, but it didn't worked with ntfs partitions so I had to config it always after a reboot, then I used Gentoo, but it was too difficult to install then.

Then somebody told me about mandrake, I installed it, buyed me a new modem and that's about 3 weeks ago , haven't used windows since then :D

It was a stormy night, when i made my first encounter with Mandrake in a dingy alley.....

Oh alright then, mdk 8.0 from dick smith electronics store after hearing about how linux was so stable on the interweb thingy ;). I was administering a small network with an nt server at the time which was a truly awefull experience.