New Nvidia Drivers v1.0-6111

johnnyv

Just saw on linuxgames http://linuxgames.com/ that there are new nvidia drivers, also new ati drivers.

Link

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-6111.html

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-6111-pkg1.run

I have been having some problems with my tv-out with the last lot so hope this fixes it.

There appears to be a bug in the installation script. The attempt to compile a driver fails and the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log shows the the point of failure is a test for the existence of /usr/linux/$(uname -r)/.config file. The log directs you to run make mrproper. This of course removes the .config file along with all other configuration and compilation byproducts. When you re-run the Nvidia installer program, it then fails to compile the driver, but this time it complains that the kernel source has not been configured!

I did a bit of digging and determined that message I was getting was from the /usr/src/linux/Makefile. For some reason that I have yet to figure out, when the Nvidia script calls the kernel makefile (to do a make modules) make acts as if it has been called with no target -- not what's wanted. To get around this problem, I extracted Nvidia's instllation files (using the -x option to the run file) and did a manual make install in Nvidia's top directory. I'm now up on the new driver.

I run a customized kernel and I've noticed that Nvidia's scripts always run a little oddly when compiled against a custom kernel. With a stock kernel, it takes only a few seconds to run throught the compilation processes. With a custom kernel, it takes up to 10 minutes. For some reason, Nvidia's script triggers recompilation of a large number of kernel modules -- something to look into some day.

turmoyl

over at Mandrake User Club posted this note about the new driver:

Here's a tip for anyone that has trouble compiling the Nvidia 6111 IA32 driver for Linux with a modified/self-compiled MDK kernel. Before we begin, though, I recommend you run Mandrake Update and grab the latest XFree86 RPMs if you have not already done so.

If you run into a compilation error that asks you to run 'make mrproper' in your kernel source tree DO NOT DO SO.

Simply rerun the driver installer with the '--add-this-kernel' option (i.e. # ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel). This will repackage the installer as a new file named 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1-custom.run'.

Then run the custom installer (i.e. './NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1-custom.run') and it will successfully build and install the driver.

The driver package as distributed supports kernerl 2.6.3-7mdk and 2.6.3-13mdk, but not 2.6.3-15mdk.

I went to nivida on the night of the 4 to grab drivers for a fc3 test1 box and saw those there with a date of the 5th. A little odd, had to check my calendar twice to make sure I wasn't somking crack.

8)