.wma to .ogg?

santner

I gave Walmart a shot for their online music store. Had to download in Windoze :angry: and then the file type is .wma. I would like to convert this to ogg for my linux install. Is there any good software available to do this?

I tried:

oggenc file.wma

but apparently .wma file types are not supported.

I am thinking that the process is to first expand the file back to a .wav and then encode to a .ogg?

I am thinking that the process is to first expand the file back to a .wav and then encode to a .ogg?

Yup, that would be best. You could write a script to do bulk conversions this way, but you'd first need to find a wma -> wav coverter for Linux... or wma -> mp3.

Not sure if any exist... so... convert to wav/mp3 in Windows and then encode to ogg in Linux?

You could use winamp in windows with one of the output plugins that lets you record to mp3 or ogg. (It plays encrypted wmas as well as unecrypted ones).

Alternatively if you have a CD-Writer you can write them to CD using windows media player and then use what ever tool you choose in Linux to rip them to whatever format you want.

Or, wait a couple of weeks and then buy crossover office with iTunes support (which won't do a thing for your wma files but will let you buy music legally and then play it back under Linux).

Edited by cardassianscot

Why not just convert them to .mp3? There are a ton of converters for that, though you'd probably have to do it in windows...why do you want 'em in .ogg? I've never seen an .ogg file...never seen a .ogg converter, and never seen anything that can play a .ogg file (unless winamp/xmms can...but it can play everything :P)

If you it will have installed Windows:

Burn .Wma musics as a cd of common music (It functions in any cd-player)

In the Mandrake it enters in the KAudioKreator that it passes musics for ogg