USB CF card reader not detected

Hashimoto

Well, here I go again....

Fresh install of a MDK10. My CF card reader is not detected in any way. In my earlier instllations it worked flawlessly. Now when I plug it in I can just and just detect a very short blink in the light but it is not detected, I can't see it in hardware list, nothing! What the h... happened. Hotplug? Something else?

Hotplug worked without a hitch in my earlier upgraded install. I have had no probs with supermount. I have disabled the hotplug, restarted, you tell me what, but I'm in dark. Please... :help: ( My debt to the board is ever growing)

BR

Hashimoto

harddrake gives no answers/doesn't give you info on that reader? hmm... this might sound strange, but have you tried the card reader on another comp these last days? maybe something got broken (how old is the device?). other idea is, look at your fstab. maybe some modifications to it will bring that thing back working. if nothing works, give us all info you can get on this "problem".

good luck :)

The reader works fine in Windows at my office, so that was not the problem. Linux was the problem and I was missing the fstab lines. Why, I have no idea.

I did a very, very unorthodox thing for a linux user: I plugged in the card reader and installed the whole system again. And it works now.

Why did I end up doing such a thing? Well, I thought it is faster this way: it only takes some 20 minutes instead of the numerous log-ons via modem, etc. I'm certainly not going to learn much this way....

Ashamed

Hashimoto

Working?? Who am I fooling?

It was working OK after the install. Then I updated the system with rpm packages on my HD (downloaded from MDK mirror maybe up to June 20th or so). Later last evening I noticed that the CF reader is dead again. :wall:

fstab on usb card missing again. :angry:

So what is the reason? I am starting to think I have some damaged rpm packages. Or is there some bug in the updates?

Install-again-Hashimoto :tm: ?