A note on UT2004

VeeDubb

This is something i figured out, maybe I'm a dumb-a for not knowing this off the bat, but you have to leave the DVD (or CD1) in the drive to play. The game will launch just fine iwth no disk but it will do random disk checks and if the disk isn't there, the program simply closes with no error.

As a second side note, buy the game. Get he DVD version if you have a DVD reader, and play it a lot. This game is awsome all on it's own, with the best single player mode of any UT game yet, and we should do all we can to support game makers that do native linux ports anyway.

edit* it should go without saying, that you actualy need to have the disk mounted and not just 'in' the drive.

Edited by VeeDubb

This is something i figured out, maybe I'm a dumb-a for not knowing this off the bat, but you have to leave the DVD (or CD1) in the drive to play.  The game will launch just fine iwth no disk but it will do random disk checks and if the disk isn't there, the program simply closes with no error.

As a second side note, buy the game.  Get he DVD version if you have a DVD reader, and play it a lot.  This game is awsome all on it's own, with the best single player mode of any UT game yet, and we should do all we can to support game makers that do native linux ports anyway.

edit*  it should go without saying, that you actualy need to have the disk mounted and not just 'in' the drive.

Interesting, I've had the game crash "randomly" on me too.

Do you know if the 3236 patch stops it from crashing? under windows it removes the CD check. I just realized I never patched my linux install.

I have the DVD version and I would rather not leave the DVD in the drive for feer of it getting damaged. I was quitre happy that Epic removed it in the 3236 patch (in windows at least).

This is something i figured out, maybe I'm a dumb-a for not knowing this off the bat, but you have to leave the DVD (or CD1) in the drive to play.  The game will launch just fine iwth no disk but it will do random disk checks and if the disk isn't there, the program simply closes with no error.

As a second side note, buy the game.  Get he DVD version if you have a DVD reader, and play it a lot.  This game is awsome all on it's own, with the best single player mode of any UT game yet, and we should do all we can to support game makers that do native linux ports anyway.

edit*  it should go without saying, that you actualy need to have the disk mounted and not just 'in' the drive.

Do you know if the 3236 patch stops it from crashing? under windows it removes the CD check. I just realized I never patched my linux install.

I have the DVD version and I would rather not leave the DVD in the drive for feer of it getting damaged. I was quitre happy that Epic removed it in the 3236 patch (in windows at least).

Yes, the patch works.. And I don't need to have the cd mounted anymore.

Since I have installed the patch, I've had no crashes of any kind. B)

This is something i figured out, maybe I'm a dumb-a for not knowing this off the bat, but you have to leave the DVD (or CD1) in the drive to play.   The game will launch just fine iwth no disk but it will do random disk checks and if the disk isn't there, the program simply closes with no error.

Yes, the patch works.. And I don't need to have the cd mounted anymore.

Since I have installed the patch, I've had no crashes of any kind. B)

I have put off buying this game for a long time, since the demo was really pretty poor on my system, as was UT2003. I'm not sure if I have something on my system set up wrong or what, but I tried it again last night, the demo, and my frame rate is only about 20-40 tops, often dipping into the red...

My specs are:

Athlon XP 1800+

512MB PC133 SDRAM

MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB

SB Live! 5.1

Debian Sid

I have some credit with TuxGames, so I might have to purchase the DVD version and all that, but I dunno... I don't play games much anymore on Linux, so maybe I should just hold off.

I have put off buying this game for a long time, since the demo was really pretty poor on my system, as was UT2003. I'm not sure if I have something on my system set up wrong or what, but I tried it again last night, the demo, and my frame rate is only about 20-40 tops, often dipping into the red...

My specs are:

Athlon XP 1800+

512MB PC133 SDRAM

MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB

SB Live! 5.1

Debian Sid

I have some credit with TuxGames, so I might have to purchase the DVD version and all that, but I dunno... I don't play games much anymore on Linux, so maybe I should just hold off.

Try and play with the settings. Some functions like shadows are very CPU intensive and don't add much to the gameplay experience. Try enabling tripple buffering and VSync for more consistent frame rates.

The new Onslaught mode just uses a lot of CPU compared to Deathmatch for example, but you should be able to get playable framerates.

My main problem is my video card: GeForce 2 Ultra used to be The Sh*t a few years back but it's showing its age now.

Get whichever version you want, the DVD or the 6CDs version, they're identical and you don't need the CDs or DVD once it's installed (with the game patched to 3236). The "Special Edition" has an extra DVD on creating maps and mods for the game, but you don't care about that or you'd already own it.

hmmm... this is not correct AFAIK. There was an engine bug that was causing UT2004 to crash and that bug was fixed with the first patch. You do not, and never did, need the cd/dvd in your drive to play.

I bought the game the day it came out and immediately got the segfaults after playing for a while. All over the bug-tracking website they said that the problem had been found (and described it) and not long after that they released a patch.

I have now emerged UT2004, so it is kept up to date along with the rest of my system in emerge -u world. :deal: