'Find Files' locks up..

Guest fattyjules

Guest fattyjules

I am using Mandrake 10.0, this is my first Linux machine. I've installed Mandrake a couple of times, and every time I've had the same problem; Find Files (kfind) doesn't work.

The window comes up, but when I click Find, the program stops responding. I have left it for several minutes to make sure it isn't just processing something, but it never comes back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

are you sure it's locking & not still searching? if you're sure it's locking up, do you (by any chance) have supermount enabled? i ran into that when i used to use supermount. in a terminal as root type........ supermount -i disable (enter) then try the search. if that's the cause, you can always re-enable supermount with......... supermount -i enable.

there's also several other ways to perform a search. my favourite is in terminal as root type......... find / -name (name of search here). example......... find / -name k3b. the / switch tells it to search the whole hard drive, -name tells it to look for the exact name you type. you can also limit the search to a specific partition by defining it (IE: instead of just /, you can use /home, /mnt, etc.....). and, it supports wild cards, such as find / -name *.tar.gz (would find all .tar.gz file on the hard drive). see man find for all info.

Chris

You have that to enter in the Konsole as root and to type the command

''updatedb '' (Without quotations marks is obvious) you to be able to look archives

It waits some minutes until the research finishes

Edited by luizmdk