Fluxbox, I need help?

jmr0311

Can you tell me Luis101 or iphitus or Spiedra, what this piece of information means;

2. How to make applications starting when Fluxbox starts?

Edit ~/.fluxbox/apps and put there something like this:

[startup] {xterm}

or to start it on screen 2 (NOT workspace 2)

[startup] (screen=2) {xterm}

A workspace is a virtual desktop that fluxbox provides. A screen is usually another monitor - it is configured as a separate Screen in your XF86Config.

This is posted on the Fluxbox website, under the "Fluxbox Develelopment Release FAQ. I was runing Fluxbox V 0.9.8 before I read this, so I went ahead and install the development version 0.9.9 in my system. What is your interpretation of ~/.fluxbox/apps, is it that "apps" file the same "startup file", that we all being talking about. Or this is something new and also look the way the start all the applications. Or I'm complitely confuse, I need your comments guy's, please.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah to me it looks just like another file to apps. Both this and fluxbox/starup file seem to do the same thing, so jut use the one that you find more convinient for you.

-Luis

Hi members, I just one to let everybody know what was the problem with gDesklets not starting automatically when I login on my Fluxbox system. I posted before a sample of the startup file in my system; which by the way I have to thank Luis101 for it; that Fluxbox wasn't utilizing. Happens that when I create the file, I never change the permissions to make the file executable ( chmod u+x startup ) also I added the line LiquidZoo mention in one of the replies, (#!/bin/sh) at the begining of the file .

Now when I log in Fluxbox the weather desklets, gdeskcal and Eterm start automatically. I only have one little question, I don't like the position where Eterm is appearing on my screen. Can I move it to a different area and does Eterm remembers that position, so when I login the next time is going to show up in the position a located to.

Javi :oops:

Edited by jmr0311

Hey,

Good to know that everything is running ok. As far as to move Eterm press and hold Alt and click and hold and move to where ever you want, and release. Af for the position of it I yet don't know if there is something to do that..... Mine always starts up on the conner if I find a way how to do it or whatever I'll be sure to notify you I have an Idea right now I'm going to try it out. I'll post back if it works....

-Luis

Hey Luis101, I found how to move the Eterm screen and position it where ever you want. This is how the command for Eterm loks like in my startup file;

Eterm x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off --geometry=85x23+759+610 -f orange &

If you see the command I post, you have to add this to the original line --geometry=WidthxHeigth+Xcoordinate+Ycoordinate , For the coordinates if you type

-X Top Left

+X Top Right

-Y Bottom Left

+Y Bottom Right

Hopefully this work for your. Cheeers...

Javi :D

Edited by jmr0311