Need help to install Mdk 10 onto P2 laptop

Guest t4tortoise

Guest t4tortoise

Hi!

I've been scouring the forums but can't seem to find anything. So here goes :

I've inherited an old PII 300Mhz laptop from my brother. Want to use it as a email terminal at home and maybe later on as a Broadband router to my work laptop.

I've got the PCMCIA cd-rom (non-bootable) but NO floppy drive.

4Gb hdd (currently 1.8Gb is in use)

Current OS : Win 98 [it seems to boot ok, but is super slow, duh... and has the proper pcmcia drivers, so I can use the cd-rom in Windows].

I have tried to make MS-DOS recognise the PCMCIA cd rom (Quit to MS-Dos Mode). but to no avail.

umm... other info ? 64mb RAM, 1mb of Video RAM. I have the downloaded Mandrake 10 cds (3).

Would appreciate any help/advise that anybody can give! :)

Thanks guys!

I've never done it but you could try looking up a hard drive install on this forum or google. It should work for you. Basicly you'll be installing from a driectory on the hard drive that has the ISO's in it. No need for a floppy or a cd rom during install.

Guest t4tortoise
I've never done it but you could try looking up a hard drive install on this forum or google. It should work for you. Basicly you'll be installing from a driectory on the hard drive that has the ISO's in it. No need for a floppy or a cd rom during install.

umm... does that mean I need to download the other version of Mandrake cos I downloaded the ISOs to burn to cd... there was another option to download the "raw tree"... would this be better than just copying the files off the cd onto the hdd ?

Also, how much space would be needed ? my hdd is 4 gb and 3 cds should make about 2Gb worth of setup disk space.

Much appreciated! :)

i would suggest, you should to make a so called ftp-install, in case you have broadband. then of course, the three cd's are, sorry, more or less "useless". :unsure:

keep in mind that with 3 gb of hard-disk space available (next to win98 if you want to keep it), you should make a reduced install first (no bloat-apps, only the really necessary stuff) and add other tools later on. it is important that you install the basic parts first, thus having a stable "source" to which you can add other stuff via urpmi. this will save you time and headaches, in case your connection to ftp gets killed. the bad thing is: the whole process will take some time until the online(ftp)-install is complete, so prepare for some hours of work. :juggle:

you can also download the ftp-directory and then do an installation, using either the cd-rom or a hd-partition. in either case, the files that you find on your first cd should be downloaded from ftp. this is more than enough to equip you with a running os. the other stuff can be (again) dowloaded via urpmi.

third possibility: if you have a second comp, you can plug them together and do an install on the laptop via the other workbox. but don't aske me how to do it in detail. i never did such thing before, only know, that this works (e.g. via tweaked printer-cable or network :cheesy: )

good luck

Edited by arctic