Apache

bigjohn

Could someone please explain the pro's and con's of running my own webserver?

I've had a look round but fail to see any benefit's doing this. Or am I missing something?

for instance, as I dual boot and my partner need's access to window's does that mean that to run a webserver I'd have to have an additional pc? and just access it from my main machine to do mod's etc to my web pages/site?

Sorry if this sound's stupid, but I'd like to get a website up and running, and the more I read about this, the more I get confused.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you can offer

regards

John

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Could someone please explain the pro's and con's of running my own webserver?

I've had a look round but fail to see any benefit's doing this. Or am I missing something?

for instance, as I dual boot and my partner need's access to window's does that mean that to run a webserver I'd have to have an additional pc? and just access it from my main machine to do mod's etc to my web pages/site?

Sorry if this sound's stupid, but I'd like to get a website up and running, and the more I read about this, the more I get confused.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you can offer

regards

John

Unless you are doing it just for the learning experience there is little reason to host Apache/web sites on your personal workstation, and yes, when you reboot that site won't be available. Now if you have a seperate machine you can put on the Internet full time, your ISP will allow you to host your own server and have a fixed I.P., then go for it.

Linux/BSD/Unix has to be running when apache is running. It cannot run in the background with windows over it. You should try to get your friend to do his tasks on linux.

The upsides is you control the downtime of your server and you can make more direct changes.

The downside is that the computer must always be on and that can add to your power bill.

It all depends on what you want to do. I run my own web server (see signature) on my machine at home. I just use it to host screenshots, and maybe some other things that I think I might need online.

Cons, as SwiftDeath listed, you do have to leave your computer on all the time, which could lead to a larger power bill.

In the end, though, it's up to you. If you want to run a webserver, do it. It's a great way to learn.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

It seems that apart from the learning thing, there's little to be gained as it's not as if I have load's of content to serve.

I'd need to have an additional machine for it, though the connection wouldn't be a burden as it's an adsl one etc etc.

But also I wouldn't expect hoard's of visitors either, though that doesn't mean I don't want to get my very small point's of view into that very large box that is the internet.

I'll go down the ISP route probably as it'd be easier (and probably less stress) for me.

regards

John

Well Im not sure its easier... setting up apache is 2 minutes...

Your main question is rebooting into windows...

My webservers are a P100 and a P233 .. they are always on and do a lot of other things too.

I have my own email server which I check from work and I can log into my home PC from work or even on the train with my phone and PDA and do stuff.

I use it as a ftp server too and put files there for friends and also photo's and music. This is all then streamed around the house ... using a browser and plugin as a client... although this is not directly a web server its all pretty much connected... I can be at work and listen to my musuc collection or find a letter I need to send etc.

But mostly the difference is what you wanna host..

The more control you want over an ISP the more expensive...

If you want mysql and php (so you could host a forum say) then most budget ISP's

wont let you... unless you pay more you wont get your own box.. you will be sharing a virtual node and your performance will vary with this...

When you want real top end like anon then ISP's become attractive again becuase you are paying for the top end root access and a T1 or even T3...

Hello Gowator,

I have MDK 10.0 and my apache fails to run. Here is the error, When I start apache, the httpd2 failed and I get this in the error_log file

"Function not implemented: mod_rewrite: could not create rewrite_log_lock Configuration Failed"

Is this a function of kernel which came with mdk 10.0? I would very much appreciate if you you can tell me what mandrake and kernel version are you using for your apache?

Thanks

MT