Free or pay?

Guest ZapoTex

Guest ZapoTex

Hi everyone! A little question.

Mandrake Soft sells Mandrake Discovery, PP and PP+ on its site. But on MandrakeLinux.com there are ISO available to download and there are lots of magazines (in Italy "Linux Pratico" for example) that give Mandrake CDs for a couple of $.

What do the versions for sale have more than the free ones?

Thank you very much.

See you soon!

The simple answer is nothing except knowing you are helping support open source software....

The longer answer is...

some drivers mandrake dont let non paying customers use and pretend its some GPL issue.... (winmodems/nvidia etc.)

some non free (beer) libre software like acrobat reader and some limited trial software like vmware 30 day trial....

all of these are availble FREE elsewhere...

the physical manuals and CD's of course!

.... basically very little you could say is worth it unless you want to support Mandrake and opensource....

If you are convinced then buy the powerpack.... if not then don't but the discovery as a interim .... I prefer either downloading or buying the pp box set.

well dont forget to come back and say hello once you are downloaded and dont forget to check the MD5 sums before burning... (have a quick look through the FAQ before you start and I would probably recommend the extra stability of OE until you are more experienced :D) and if you are happy then Id go for the DVD edition!

well dont forget to come back and say hello once you are downloaded and dont forget to check the MD5 sums before burning... (have a quick look through the FAQ before you start and I would probably recommend the extra stability of OE until you are more  experienced :D)  and if you are happy then Id go for the DVD edition!

hey, wasn't one of our members finished with his ISO downloading script? Sounds like it might come in handy right away! It's supposed to download and check MD5-sums and stuff...

and I agree, if you like it, get the DVD: no more annoying CD-swapping :)

Edited by Darkelve

Thank you very much.

I think I'll try the downloadable and buy the official CDs or DVDs if I get on well with Linux.

By!

This was my approach also...I have bought 2 versions (8.2, 9.2) and had a Club membership as well.

The trial of a full version is what convinced me to support MDK (as well as this forum)

Edited by cjc