US Robotics 56K PCI Faxmodem (5660A)

verbose

I've just recently installed MDK 10 after having used 8.2 off and on. The reason it's been "off and on" is because I had a Lucent Winmodem. Now I have a (see title). I should have looked into it more before buying it but didn't because I wasn't planning on installing Linux anytime soon again. However, I installed 8.2 again, went through a big hassle with setserial, setpci, lspci, (makedev <- the hassle). Makedev is a script in Mandrake 10 so it may work better but I'd rather skip it. I was wondering if, unlike 8.2, Mandrake 10 supports this chipset. At linmodems.org it says...

US Robotics isn't offering drivers, but some speculate that they are based on (OEM versions of) Rockwell/Conexant hsfi drivers.

I have found 1 modem that works with Linux in the US Robotics name but it costs $79.99 at CompUSA (most datamodems are pricey, of course). I've looked at a few compatibility lists (one being at mandrakelinux.com, but it was very little help). Does anyone know if Mandrake 10 supports USR5660A (either have gotten it to work or have hard evidence)? If not, will Conexant drivers indeed work with US Robotics.

again...

US Robotics isn't offering drivers, but some speculate that they are based on (OEM versions of) Rockwell/Conexant hsfi drivers.

Edited by verbose

I've used gnome-ppp with 8.2 and 10. Now I have both Gnome and KDE so I'll have to try kppp. There's also commandline methods (kermit) but I haven't tried it yet either. What's so special about kppp, I've seen it recommended elsewhere too. You wouldn't by any change have the same modem, would you? You probably have the Performance Pro modem (USR5610B) which works with Linux.

Edited by verbose

Haha thanks buddy. I actually looked at this page a few times but never looked deep enough.

PCI ID 16EC:2F00 (U.S. Robotics USR5660A (265660A) 56K PCI Faxmodem)

The only problem is the free driver only supports 14.4Kbps... still better than nothing. $14.95 is awfully pricey for a driver, not a modest price if you ask me. I wonder if there's another site I can download the drivers from.

edit: Apparently not. Do you know what the deal is with the licence by any chance? Do you pay and they let you download the driver with 56k support? Since it's ~900kb I'm assuming this would be the case.

Edited by verbose

It turns out I have FC2 installed now and have gotten it to work but 14.4kbps is ungodly slow so I'm going to install Mandrake again and use the beta drivers.

Thanks, I like Fedora, but if it's between 56k and 14.4 I'll use Mandrake. :P

edit: bvc built one for FC2 but the link is down. > http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/drivers/hsf...2600-1.i386.rpm

Edited by verbose

why post a bad link? :unsure:

IF the conexant hsf driver will work with your modem it'll only do it as DragonMage said.....with kernel 2.4. Want 56k and hsf driver, you'll have to go 2.4. The source drivers will build on the 2.6 but that it all. They do not work with kernel2.6.

Edited by bvc