nVidia MX 440 locks system

tsw

Hello,

I have been trying for a few days to get a GF MX 440 card working with Mandrake 10 official. It is important to note that the card performs perfectly under suSE and Windows. I have gotten it to work enough under Mandrake to at least get to the graphical environment. However, after only a few minutes the computer will either shut down and reboot or simply freeze, and I mean all of the way. I do not even have the ability to go to console.

The nvidia drivers and kernel supplied by mandrake will get me up long enough to where I have downloaded the official NVidia drivers from there site. I am running kernel 2.6.3-15mdk and have the kernel source 2.6.3-15, and gcc compliers installed as well. Following the directions from these links and also the nvidia site I still have no love.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules....wpage&pid=6

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...threadid=188561

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...threadid=194100

What is happening is that when I run the sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-XXXX..... command I get the installer and accept the licens. Then I get a warning that there is an rpm-nvidia installed and will be uninstalled. I say OK. Then the installer complains that there is no precompiled kernel avaiable would I like it to search for one on the internet. I say sure. It comes back and says no kernel was found will have to build a kernel module or something like that. I say sure. The installer starts and after about 3 seconds of compiling a kernel panic happens and the computer freezes and I am stuck.

I am at my wits end here so any help would be very appreciated. Like I wrote before, this seems to be a Mandrake specific problem but perhaps it is not. Thanks in advance for any guidence with this.

tsw

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Make sur the kernel source you installed is the right one for the kernel your running and if it is remove it and download it and install it again.

Redownload the Nvidia installer also since its small.

Kernel source is the right one and already tried the uninstall-reinstall bit. The generic drivers supplied by mandrake offer at least a bit of relief. I can use an X screen for about five minutes before it locks up. I really do not get this.

I suppose this locking problem is the real issue at this point. Why is this happening? Could anyone point me in the right direction. Please tell what files or scripts I should post that might help resolve this problem.

Have also tried disabling acpi in bios and kernel and changing transfer rate from 4x to 2x. I am not even a gamer. I work on this machine. Shoot, I just need a stable X so I can get some bloody work done.

Again this freezing problem is specific to Mandrake ( does not happen in Windoze or suse) my main and really only OS. I only have the ms installed so I can use DVDshrink.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

tsw

This is not windows. My concern is that you describe the computer locking up. In windows, if you lose gui, you lose the system. In linux, you should be able to kill x and log back in. The fact that your computer locks tells me that some hardware issue is occurring. ctrl-alt-backspc should kill the x server. To clean shut down and reboot, you should be ablr to hit leftalt-sysrq-r, leftalt-sysrq-s, leftalt-sysrq-e, leftalt-sysrq-u, leftalt-sysrq-b, in this sequence, in order to reboot.

Ix, I understand what you are saying, but in fact I had a similar experience with my Geforce MX440 card and nvidia 3D drivers on a lot of distributions. It froze on me every time I tried a 3D-game or sometimes just like that in the middle of a session. I seem to remember someone telling me it was probably KDE using up too many resources (or something like that) and therefore, "freezing". I had to manually reboot.

Of course, it should definitely NOT automatically reboot.

In SuSe I currently also have problems, but I changed a setting fror AGPart to "AGPart=1".

Of course, if tsw does not really need 3D, he can always use the "nv" driver.

Edited by Darkelve

If that is the case, then what you are saying is that a gfmx card stops communicating to the bus! That is the only thing that could be happening. If the communication stops from video to the machine through the bus, then the machine would stop, as it would if the cpu, chipset, or keyboard would suddenly stop. You are describibg a major hardware issue, not a driver. :unsure:

If that is the case, then what you are saying is that a gfmx card stops communicating to the bus! That is the only thing that could be happening. If the communication stops from video to the machine through the bus, then the machine would stop, as it would if the cpu, chipset, or keyboard would suddenly stop. You are describibg a major hardware issue, not a driver. :unsure:

Well... the mouse still would move... but I couldn't do Ctr+Alt+Backspace or Ctrl+F1...

Turn off SideBand Addressing and Fast Writes in BIOS if you have an older VIA chipset and try again, I have seen this fail on a couple distros when the driver probes the AGP-PCI bridge. You may want to go into BIOS and change it to Failsafe Defaults (or something similair) instead of Optmiized or Performance Defaults while troubleshooting.

Turn off SideBand Addressing and Fast Writes in BIOS if you have an older VIA chipset and try again, I have seen this fail on a couple distros when the driver probes the AGP-PCI bridge. You may want to go into BIOS and change it to Failsafe Defaults (or something similair) instead of Optmiized or Performance Defaults while troubleshooting.

Are you talking to me or to tsw, xbox?

Edit: woops, sorry, xbob :woops:

Edited by Darkelve

Yes, that is a good observation. :thumbs:

Are you talking to me or to tsw, xbox?

Edit: woops, sorry, xbob :woops:

Sorry Darkelve, must have hit the wrong reply button, that was aimed at tsw.

This is not windows. My concern is that you describe the computer locking up. In windows, if you lose gui, you lose the system. In linux, you should be able to kill x and log back in. The fact that your computer locks tells me that some hardware issue is occurring. ctrl-alt-backspc should kill the x server. To clean shut down and reboot, you should be ablr to hit leftalt-sysrq-r, leftalt-sysrq-s, leftalt-sysrq-e, leftalt-sysrq-u, leftalt-sysrq-b, in this sequence, in order to reboot.

Yes, I know this is not windows. But what I am saying is that the system locks up completely. No keyboard, no mouse, no control cltrl-alt-backspace. I trolled the nvidia linux forums and this seems to be an issue especially with Mandrake. I am not a complete newb but this is my first nVidia card so this part is very new.

If this is a severe hardware issue than great, at least that is some place to start. However, I am hesitant to say that it is only a hardware issue as I can not duplicate this event in either suSE-Linux or m$-windoze.

My bios has been set to pretty bare bones. fast over-write disabled AGP transfer set to 2X.

As to trying older nVidia drivers the answer is no I have not done that yet. A good suggestion, but will they be compatible with kernel version 2.6.XXX? If so great I will give that a try next.

This is my first post in this forum and these responses are great. Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far.

tsw

Edited by tsw

I have a GF4 MX440SE AGP 64MB made by Apollo (cheap) and it's fine with both 2.4/2.6 kernels and the nv/nviida drivers. The last 2 versions of the nvidia driver work for the 2.6 kernel and are to be back_compat w/ 2.4.

Does this happen with the nv driver? (sorry if that has been answered already)

I have a GF4 MX440SE AGP 64MB made by Apollo (cheap) and it's fine with both 2.4/2.6 kernels and the nv/nviida drivers. The last 2 versions of the nvidia driver work for the 2.6 kernel and are to be back_compat w/ 2.4.

Does this happen with the nv driver? (sorry if that has been answered already)

With the nv driver KDE crashes around me. It is useable but distracting because every few seconds I have to close a warning window.

Thanks for the tip about the earlier versions of nVidia. I'll give it a try in the morning. Damn, I hope this is a fix. I would hate to think I built a system that is incompatible for my OS. I really thought I did my home-work.

tsw

Edited by tsw