Samba & WinXP OPEN file sharing

Guest CaptainRegular

Guest CaptainRegular

Hey, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've been looking for a long time and can't find out how to do THIS. I have a network of 6 Windows XP machines and a rejuvenated office Pentium 3 running Mandrake 10 for the last 3 days. I have a folder on the Linux box /home/user/netshare that I want to share OPENLY. No passwords, anybody on the network can look and open files, but no write permissions. I could do this fairly easily under WinXP, but it seems nearly impossible with linux. When I do the Samba server wizard, I get up to the point where it has "file permissions" and stuff like "groups must be preceded by @" and root, fred as an "example." "tim" is the only user on the Linux box, and the WinXP boxes vary, but I don't want to restrict this folders read privelidges at ALL. What do I put in this slot or am I going about this entirely the wrong way? Thank you! Oh, and I can browse my Windows network fine from the linux box in Konquereor or Mozilla with smb:/ and stuff.

i think you'd want a share something like this:

[share-name]

path = /home/user/netshare

comment = samba file share

force user = tim

read only = yes

valid users = guest

windows will try to connect with the username guest and no password, so you'll need to set up samba to allow the user guest.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-samba3.html

Guest CaptainRegular

Ok, so HOW do I put that into Samba? Or how do I get it to do that? Is it editing sabmas conf file, or what? I tried doing it in the console, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I may have just gotten a lot of the syntax wrong. OR how do I use the GUI based Samba setup wizard when it comes to the @group and stuff like that? Sorry, total Linux noob.

you'd put those lines in samba's main configuration file which should be /etc/samba/smb.conf (you'll need to be root to edit it).

Also, to allow the user 'guest' to view your shares you might need to enable the guest user for samba. As root, run this command: smbpasswd -a -e guest

Then when it gives you a password prompt just press enter both times. Hopefully that should work.

Guest CaptainRegular

No go. For the most part. I DRASTICALLY simplified the smb.conf file, and got it down to this:

[global]

path = /home/user/netshare

workgroup = WORKGROUP

security = share

guest ok = yes

And I get into it, it doesn't show a password prompt, takes me right to the folder. Yay! Only problem now is that the contents of /home/user/netshare aren't THERE. Just a "Printers and Faxes" icon. None of the files or folders that are present in the actual folder on the Linux box. Any ideas? I've also tried having the path line AFTER the workgroup line, no change. I'm not sure if the order of lines has an impact. Same thing.

Edited by CaptainRegular