Eterm

Jet2k5

Hello everyone!

This post covers the question on how you can make console appear as if it was running on the background, just the command line shows up on the Screen? This process can be easily done with a terminal emulator called Eterm, installing it and configuring it is a snap!

First things first we are going to install Eterm thru urpmi, if you do not have your urpmi sources please click here, if you already have them set up continue on to step 1!

1) Installing Eterm

Installing Eterm is very easy if you have all your sources set up,

First open up a console and su to root,

next type the following in

urpmi Eterm

Once Eterm is downloaded you will need to add a shortcut to your kicker, proceed to step 2

2) Adding a shortcut to your kicker ( KDE )

Adding a shortcut to your kicker is great for applications that you run constantly we will need to add one for Eterm so that we can easily access it's properties menu.

-Right click on panel, go to > Add > Application Button > System > Terminals > Eterm

Continue step 3

2.b ) Adding a shortcut to your launch bar ( gnome )

Adding a shortcut to your launcher in gnome,

-Right click on launcher bar > Launcher from menu... > System > Terminals > Eterm

Continue to step 3.

2.c)Adding it for Fluxbox

Ok for Fluxbox it's a little more different, all you have to do is put the code that is given on step 3 in your Fluxbox startup file this, to find out how to do this please go to Iphitus FAQ on Fluxbox by clicking here

3)Configuring Eterm

Locate the Eterm shortcut that you have added to your kicker or launcher bar and right click on it, the click on Properties.

Once the Properties menu comes up click on the Tab at the top labeled ' Application'.

Once you are in the applications window, locate where it says Command: and in the space next to it copy and paste this line,

Eterm -x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off

Then hit ' OK ' and there you now you have a transparent looking console!

NOTE #1 You can also change the color if you want by adding -f color to the end of the line given above and of course switch color of an actual color like Red, White, Blue etc.... heres an example,

For mine currently I have the color orange and this is what it looks like,

Eterm -x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off -f orange

As you can see I just added an -f after the 'off' and the color I want, all you have to do is if you would like to change the color is copy this line, and just change the color 'orange ' to what ever color you want and paste it into the space besides Command:

NOTE #2 To move Eterm all you have to do is hold Alt and left click and hold and move to where ever you want. Here is what your Eterm should look like, mine is labeled ' [zero@dhcppc0 zero]$' in he middle as you can see I have 2 running

NOTE #3 If you would like for Eterm to remember the position where you want it to show up on start you will need to add a few more things. This tips was given to me by jmr0311.

First of all this is what it would look like with the changes made,

Eterm x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off --geometry=85x23+759+610 -f orange &

As you can see the line the line means this,

--geometry=WidthxHeigth+Xcoordinate+Ycoordinate is the line that we have to modify for Eterm to remember the position where you want it to start. First we will start with the first set of numbers,

85x23 , This is the SIZE of Eterm the default size of Eterm is somewhere around 85x24 but some people will like to make it bigger or smaller to fit perfect on their screen. So this is the option that you want to change. The first number is 85 that is the Width and the second number 23 is the Height

The comes the 759+610 which means Xcoordinate+YCoordinate Here is a little explanation of what it is and what is what,

-X Top Left

+X Top Right

-Y Bottom Left

+Y Bottom Right

NOTE #4 How to reduce or put tint on the Eterm window, there is nothing that I can say that will make it sound better then this, and this is what I got from doing man Eterm.

--font-fx effects  
            Specifies the effects to apply to the terminal window font.  The  
            value of effects is a single string containing a series of  cor-  
            ner/color  pairs.  These pairs define toward which corner a drop  
            shadow of each character should be made,  and  what  color  that  
            shadow will be.  The corner is specified first using the follow-  
            ing keywords: top_left or tl, top_right or  tr,  bottom_left  or  
            bl,  and bottom_right or br.  Each corner specifier is then fol-  
            lowed by a color.  

There are also several shortcuts for doing common effects.   You  
            can get a single-color outline by using the keyword outline fol-  
            lowed by a color.  A single-color drop shadow is also  available  
            using  the  keyword shadow followed by an optional corner speci-  
            fier (bottom_right being the default) and a color.   For  a  3-D  
            embossed  look, use emboss dark_color light_color.  The opposite  
            effect,  a  carved-out  look,  can  be  obtained   with   carved  
            dark_color  light_color.   (Of  course, with those last two, the  
            3-D look will only work if you choose the light and dark  colors  
            wisely.)  

Finally,  for no font effects at all, simply specify the keyword  
            none.  

The default value is bottom_right black  which  yields  a  black  
            drop shadow, greatly improving the visibility of lightly-colored  
            fonts on top of light spots in a background  image.   Note  that  
            font effects are not active in solid color mode.  

NOTE #5 There was a minor issue with the Original command not working in SuSE. So for it to be able to Launch in SuSE some one suggested this line instead,

Eterm -x --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off

What is the function of the -0 that comes after -x. In order to get this to work in SuSE 9.1 Pro I had to delete the -0 or Eterm would never launch.
That was by Xeroid.

I hope this helped you get it setup and running, have fun! If you have any problems feel free to contact me thru PM, GAIM, or visit the #musb by clicking 'chat' at the top of the MandrakeUsers Board, I'm on a lot of the time.

-Luis

Thanks to Everyone who put their Ideas and tips in, thanks to them this is now a better tip, hopefully one day it will Become a FAQ of some kind. :lol2:

Edited by Jet2k5

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Thanks for this, this is awsome, I have one question tho,

Where did you get the weather forecast from? and what program did you use to set up your theme and stuff like that,

Do you know any easy programs that help you make your desktop look the way you want it? and by easy I mean a program where you can do somehting without writing any scripts, sorry but I am a newb and dont really know much about scripts

thanks!

Tom

Tom,

The weather forecast that you see is called GoodWeather and it's a gdesklet. And the ' theme ' is not really a theme it's another WM that I use that it's called fluxbox. If you want I can help you get those things installed if you want but I'll have to do it when I get home since I'm in school right now. Also you can join the #musb channel on IRC, or you can click on the ' chat ' at the top of the board. And I'm sure someone in there will be able to help you out.

-Luis

[repetition of immediately preceding post removed by spinynorman]

take

Eterm -x --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off -f orange

or whatever you have and add

-g 117x62+0+130

first 2 are the size, the next 2 are the position. I ran the x and g options together, well here's an old one

(sleep 9; Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 --pointer-color black --cursor-text-color red2 -c DarkGray --double-buffer --font-fx emboss -xg 100x69+0+0 -b gray1 -f gray100) &

want colors? do

man colors

;)

Edited by bvc

• 3 weeks later...

How do I add that it should 'keep under other' option so it becomes'one' with the background?

Is it possible to change the degree on the transparent?

Thanks

Edited by Artificial Intelligence