Things are crashing in KDE. NVIDIA is the cause?

Pepse

:wall: Well, I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver "6106" with some tips from kungfooya; the same way I did it a long time ago: go to a shell, switch to SU/root, cd to nvidia directory, type init 3, then open the NVIDIA xxxxxxx.run, then type init 5, then go to xfree86. Well everything was fine until I tried to go to xfree86. It wouldn't go there. So, I had to shut down the computer and go to work. Got home started it up and watched it boot. Seen that it was in "init 5" and then the screen started to flicker and it went to a konsole. I logged in the console and then logged in as root and tried to go to "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" and I was denied access. So, I went to "XFdrake --expert" and ended up changing back to the default nVidia GeForce 2 DDR driver. Rebooted the box and when it started loading KDE it crashed. The error was "kcminit crashed and caused a Signal 11....SIGSEGV" I closed the crashbox and it continued to load. Everything looked OK so I decided to go online but, changed my mind and I got another "crashbox" about "kppp". I went to a lonsole and to look at GLXGEARS and it stated " Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". I figured that, but no big deal. Exited the konsole and got another crashbox about "konsole". Went back in and it was OK. Then I rebooted the box and when it was loading the KDE stuff I got another crashbox: km server. Closed it and rebooted again. When it was loading KDE I got another crashbox "kpslash". I am almost afraid to shut down again but since my box is in the bedroom and I have a very noisy power supply I have to.

Anyway if it helps I have a Tyan KT A mobo, 1.33G cpu, 512 megs of PC133 ram, NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400 64 meg PCI video card, and I am running Mandrake 9.1 Powerpack.

Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

/rant

sorry not much help since you seem to have identified the problem as the new driver....

/sympathy

yep it sucks

Am I the only person who remembers linux before nvidia when you still had stable drivers??

My matrox card (aging MGA400) is still 100x better stability wise than my nvidia cards... I had never ever had a crash until usig the nvidia drivers that couldnt be fixed or wasnt my own fault (like tymes old sig...) but now I seem to periodically have problems/weirdness...

This is what happens with closed source drivers btw... unexplained lockups noone can fix cos noone has the source code... so kudos to nvidia for actually doingf a driver but... please please GPL it so it can be made stable!

switch to SU/root, cd to nvidia directory, type init 3, then open the NVIDIA xxxxxxx.run, then type init 5, then go to xfree86.

you must edit XF86Config-4 before going back to init 5. try reinstalling the drivers via my method in post #7 in This Thread .

Chris

Sorry people I didn't realize that when topics are moved that under software where I had it it showed No Views, so I thought I was being ignored :oops: Anyway, I agree with gowator that it seems that the newer the driver the more people have problems. I remember things were pretty good when I had MDK 8.1 And yeah NV should let the info go to GPL. In this way more people can look at the coding and try to get the bugs out. And I know from being on NV's site it is a question that comes up alot. Which usually coincides with the realease of a new driver and it needs the bugs worked out. I remember a fairly stable release that was late 3xxxxx or early to mid 4xxxx. I also have a 128 meg NV AGP card that I would like to put in but I recall there are a lot of problems with AGP and NV and Linux. But I will deal with that later. First I gotta get this problem worked out.

Chris z, before I re-install I would like to know which version of NV I am currently running. Because when you read my post I state that I "apparently" re-installed the default NV GF2 DDR drivers. But then the way it is acting I might be running both or???????? And also, if I am still running 6106 should I remove it?? Or just re-install it??

Later. Pepse.

In my humble opinion, this release of Mandrake has some issues inside of kde. I use kde in all my distros, currently pclinux and libranet. kde in Mandrake is unstable. It occurs after the first upgrades from 10OE. (I have verified this on my box) So, it is not nvidia, but something Mandrake is doing with kde.

My nvidia drivers have always worked well through 3 different nvidia chips over the past several years. (Since Mandy 7.1?) This Mandrake has an issue with correcting /etc/modules.conf. To test this, simply boot to init3, su to root, modprobe nvidia, and then exit root, startx. I'll bet you will go into x. When upgrading the nvidia driver, editing x should not be necessary, as nvidia does not edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. It is the module.conf file that seems to be at odds. Try reinstalling the new driver. I like the new nvidia-settings jazz. It is great!

Well the good news is that I reloaded the 6106 drivers and with the help of Chris z's link I was able to edit XF86Config-4. But when I was there and looked at "modules" I didn't have anything that said Load "dri" or Load "glcore" . The last line in modules read: Load "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so", so I removed that line and replaced it with: Load "glx" # 3D layer" . I checked SECTION Device and it has "nvidia" . So, in modules was I correct to remove that last line and replace it with "glx" # 3D layer?? After rebooting nothing has changed. I still have various things crashing and GLXGEARS still won't work. Same error I mentioned earlier: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"

Now for the scary part. I am going to shut down and see if it will work this time.

Later. Pepse.

:wall: Well, that didn't work. Same as before, "init 3", load driver, edit XF86Config-4, "init 5", reboot, takes me to a command prompt. Go to XFdrake --expert go back to default driver. Do you think I should rerun MDK?? Hell, I'm at a loss right now.

Pepse.

I am sure that the problem is that you are still not using the correct install procedure.

You only have to miss just one little detail and that will be enough to screw it all up.

I would also strongly recommend you redownload the driver from NVIDIAs own web site because this can often be a problem.

I got a brand new ASUS V9520 Magic--GeForce FX 5200--TV-out on late Saturday Afternoon and installed the driver (from NVIDIAs own website) during lunch time yesterday (Sunday). It has been running perfectly ever, since despite my going back and forth between Win2000 and also another box I have just finished setting up solely for Win2000 ( My main machine will then become solely a MANDRAKE Machine.......at long last. Phew. )

I have enclosed an attachment which contains the EXACT directions that Chris Z laid out in a post of his earlier. I printed it out and followed it exactly. So should you and everyone else.. It is not hard to follow and even though I had never done anything like it before (using VIM) it worked out perfectly. I used his suggested < Option "NvAGP" "3" >

And especially do not forget the < :wq > part in his directions because if you do not then you will not be saving the changes you made to the texts. Be sure it is < :wq > and not < :wp > as I tried to do a couple of times :woops:

A huge thank you CHRIS Z. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: I got a glxgears count of an average 885,000 over a 3 minute run. The most visible difference is seen when using the "Euphoria ScreenSaver". Check before and then after installing the driver. First it could hardly even walk and now it runs.

Cheers. John.

I am using mandrake 10.0 CE Powerpack and have absolutely NO trouble with the nVidia drivers supplied. Mandrake Install actually sets everything up correctly, including Hardware OpenGL and nForce2 for the 2.6 enterprise kernel.

John; 1 I downloaded the driver from NV's website. I will dump the one I have and download it again. 2. The installation procedure of Chris Z's is near identical to Kungfooya's; but I used Chris's installation last night. I printed out a copy so I could follow it precisely. 3. I make mention in my second to the last post about the change I made in "Modules"; was I right or wrong with the change I made?? 4. I entered init 3 and exited via init 5 as written in Chris' instructions. 5. In my last post I "summerized" what I did to make a long story short. 6. Should I remove the installed 6106 drivers?? Or just dump the one I have in a directory and redownload another?? If I remove it, how do you remove a ".run" file? 7. Yes I am aware how to exit vim, I know I did it as stated in Chris' instructions. 8. I will add the AGP change when I put in my AGP card. At the present I am using a PCI card as the mobo I am running has a bad AGP slot and I am trying to acquire another Tyan KT-A board. 9. I am still running MDK 9.1 PP.

Later. Pepse.

Hello Pepse.

Sorry I can't help you more with your latter Questions but you certainly have my greatest sympathy trying to install a PCI Graphics Card. One thing I did do is after I did the < :wq > thing, I typed < reboot > instead of < init 5 > . Maybe this was one of the subtle things I alluded to in my earlier post. I don't know, but it might.

Last week I tried doing that PCI Graphics Card install thing for a Linux newcomer, since his board is a MicroATX with NO AGP slot. It was hell to install it in Win2000 but it works in a fashion ......screen blacks out for odd short intervals e.g.half to 3 secs but does not freeze or crash, which is really quite amazing for a Windows OS.

In Mandrake10-OE it freezes if too much activity such as copying from a data CDROM into a partition. The system ENTIRELY freezes so requires a complete machine RESET restart. I am going to download the precise LINUX driver for his PCI Graphics Card and install it for him now I feel a little more confident of being able to do it.

It is currently using Mandrakes generic nvidia driver.

Keep plugging at it mate and you will get there. At least you are making a determined attempt to follow the suggested routine and I admire you for that.

Cheers. John.

I am using mandrake 10.0 CE Powerpack and have absolutely NO trouble with the nVidia drivers supplied. Mandrake Install actually sets everything up correctly, including Hardware OpenGL and nForce2 for the 2.6 enterprise kernel.

unforunately .... the RPM is only available to powerpack customers! I never could understand why it can't be included on the DL edition... but that aside now we know pepse is using the pp 9.2 perhaps he should try the 9.2 RPM for nvidia ?

also do a

lspci -v

as root to show if the grpahics card is detected etc. it should show up ... so copy and paste it here... (you should be able to find the right part :D)

OK, John, I read the part about "reboot" vs "init 5" but being that me and "X" don't get along all that well I felt it would be safer to do "init 5" because I remember from earlier times that is what I was told. But, I will do "reboot" next time.

Gowator, as for using the nVidia RPM for MDK 9.1 are you refering to what came with my PP CD's or am I to download an older driver from nVidia?? Such as 43xx? Also, I never could figure out how to copy and paste anything. Even when I ran whine-doze. It eludes me. I can say that by going to a Konsole and using the "lspci -v" command it gave me what I want to know but, as for copy and/or paste when I right click on da mouse and click copy or paste nothing happens. So, in a nut shell this should be the line you are asking about.

00:08.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce 2 MX/MX400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA] )

If you are referring to what is in my PP CD's for nVidia here is what I found:

Search results:

NVIDIA_kernel-enterprise-2.4.21.0.13mdk

NVIDIA_kernel-smp-2.4.21.0.13mdk-432

NVIDIA_nforce-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1.0-0248

NVIDIA_nforce-enterprise-2.4.21-0.13mdk

NVIDIA_nforce-smp-2.4.21-0.13-1.0-0248.4mdk

There you have it. Anything else I can provide before I go crazy and try this again let me know.

Oh, one more thing people, when I get 10.0 PP I would like to get the DVD as it would have everything on the one disc but, is the DVD bootable or do I have to make ISO's of each disc off of the DVD??

Later. Pepse.

OK, folks, things are getting interesting now. For one, I have been in and out of "init x" so much I ain't sceerd of it no more. First of all I dumped the 6106 driver and downloaded it again and loaded it up and I had the same problems. So, I went back to nVidia's site to download an older driver and seen that they have "6111" drivers so I downloaded and installed them and the same old story. So, I got to thinking.......maybe this hard drive is so cluttered with bits and pieces of nVidia driver stuff that it is causing my problems. So, I grabbed a different hard drive and put MDK 9.1PP on it and went and downloaded nVidia 6111 drivers and "same problem", boots up until it gets to where the nVidia splash screen should appear and it goes to a konsole. So, I end up re installing the default drivers and reboot and when it is loading up KDE starts crashing just like in my regular hard drive (re-read my first post on this subject). So, is it possible my PNY/nVidia 64 meg PCI card is crapping out?? At this time I am definately at a loss for what the problem is. Towards the end of this week I will have a replacement Tyan mobo that has a working AGP slot and I would love to install my 128 meg nVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP card but, I wonder if it will be worth it?? Opinions.

Later. Pepse.

Oh, I also downloaded and installed the nVidia 4363 drivers and I had the same results as with the 6106 and 6111 drivers.