Installing MDK10 from USB CD-ROM - Help!

oRGy

Hey all

My pc's regular cdrom drive is screwed, so I have to use my usb cd-rom drive. Unfortunately this only works in windows. However, mdk92 allowed a boot image to boot from a floppy and read from a usb cdrom:

hdcdrom_usb.img install from a hard-disk or a cdrom connected to USB

However, tried to do this, but uh, the image isn't in the mdk10 cd. It was in the 9.2 one though. I'm using the download edition.

I haven't tried the normal cdrom.img (maybe they've updated it to include usb support) but if that doesn't work I'm a bit screwed. :/

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

-edit-

apparently it's an omission. I wrote the hdcdrom_usb image from 10.0 beta2 (d/led from web), is it a good idea to install from this? any other options? responses soon would be great!

also, installing from hd not really an option as my hd is only 4gb in size!

Edited by oRGy

No-one?

I tried the 10.0 beta 2 hdcdrom_usb, but I didn't quite like the look of it and it gave some odd errors.

So I tried the normal cdrom.img, that of course only worked with my ide (broken) cdrom which is no good.

Hm. I have the 9.2 discs, could I install 9.2 and then install 10.0 on top of it, without having to reboot and fiddle around?

Well, I emailed the guy at mandrake who according to anthill is responsible for squashing this bug, and the only response I get is:

"Doesn't your BIOS support boot from usb-cdrom?"

:wall:

Well, obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for hdcdrom_usb.img, would I? My BIOS is from '99 and no such option is present.

Maybe I should look into another distro or something, Mandrake seems to be a bit flaky...

Edited by spinynorman