Nvidia Problems

Guest levbien

Guest levbien

Hi!

I installed Mandrake 10 successfully on my machine which has a GeForce FX 5200. In the installation I chose the 'nv' drivers as the Generic FX drivers failed and gave me a black screen whenever I would boot. After successfully booting into Mandrake for the first time I downloaded the latest IA32 Nvidia drivers and installed them as said in the README. After succesfully executing the *.run file I booted into Mandrake ready to change the Config file as said in the README but I was greeted by about 5 error messages, relating to certain programs closing due to unforseen errors, after my desktop had loaded. I proceeded to change the config file and did so by the book. After rebooting my computer I was dissapointed to see that I was seeing the same blank screen I saw with the Generic FX drivers that were default with the installation.

Please Help Me!

Thanks

What text editor were you using?

You had no need to reboot. And you should have used a text editor like VI to change the config file while in the command line.

Look up the few quick commands for Vi you'll need to use it. Its easy once you know them and you'll find little need to ever use anything else for text editing.

After installing the Nvidia driver you will not get it working with out changing the "nv" to "nvidia" and making sure that the "GLX" module is loading. You'll either get a no usable screens found error or you'll be using the old "nv" driver.

Post back any further questions.

Also change to run level init 3 from terminal as root:

init 3

This will take you into the command line with X turned off and proceed to install the driver per instructions. Afterwards, you can go into desktop and change the run level back to 5 from terminal as root:

init 5

Or reboot and it will do it automaticlly.

Guest levbien

Nope, still the same. I did everything as said above and followed the Nvidia readme but it still blackscreens and stalls. I had to change back to the 'nv' driver to get back into the gui. After logging out there was a message on my screen saying "Error: Cannot find NVIDIA X DRIVER". And I am once more getting many error messages upon starting X and logging out.

A copy of my XF86Config-4 File is below:

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work

#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "Keyboard"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"

Option "XkbOptions" ""

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Plug'n Play"

HorizSync 30-85

VertRefresh 48-120

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

Driver "nv" \\NOTE: THIS WAS SET TO "nvidia" WHEN IT DID NOT WORK

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

Edited by levbien

What chipset do you have? If it's not in the README appendix then you need to add the line

NVAgp "2"

to the device section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and then do a start x.

And of course change "nv" back to "nvidia"

Also, it should be impossible to install the driver with X active, it warns against it repeatedly, but if you somehow managed to do so, follow spiedra's instructions and re-install the driver (ignore any warning about "File Already Exist" since the first attemtped install may have dropped some symlinks.

Follow this, and it should work perfectly.

for what it's worth, here's how i go about installing Nvidia drivers. basically the same method as in xbob's link, but written a bit more "step by step".......

you need to install the nvidia drivers. you can get them HERE.

download the file called NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1.run & save it to your hardrive somewhere, then follow the instructions below to install............ (XXXX=current version number)

PLEASE NOTE:you must have the kernel source installed in order for the nvidia drivers to function!

(if you can get to a GUI/desktop, then you can ignore steps 1 & 2 & just open a terminal from the desktop & start with step 3.)

1. start the computer & choose the "failsafe" option to boot from. (this will boot you into text mode & dump you at a login prompt)

2. at the login prompt, type your user name (enter) password (enter)

3. type su (enter) password (enter) this will put you in root mode. then type...... init 3 (hit enter) to kill xserver. relogin as root.

4. navigate to the directory where you have the nvidia installer script.

5. type ls (enter) that will list the contents of the directory (in case you have more than one file on there. you're going to need to know the install script file name, in full.)

6. type the following. this is CapSenSItIve....... sh NVIDIA-LINUX-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1.run (XXXX=current version number)

7. accept the agreement, then answer yes to the prompts. it will load the drivers & when it's done it will dump you back at the prompt.

8. we're going to use VI to edit your xf86config file. follow the steps exactly as i type them. again, it's CapSensiTIve.

9. type vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (enter)

10. type i (this is for insert mode so you can isert the proper driver line)

11. use your arrow keys & scroll to the section where it says Section "Module". under that, make sure there's a line that says Load "glx" # 3d layer . if there isn't, add it as the last line, then hit esc .

12. if it says either or both of the following under the "Module" section (Load "DRI" Load "Glcore"), remove them by typing i & using the arrow keys to navigate to them & the space or backspace bar(s) to remove them. hit esc .

13. type i & use your arrow keys to navigate to where it says Section "Device". navigate to where it says Driver "nv" or Driver "vesa" & make it read Driver "nvidia" .........that's Driver(space)(quotes)nvidia(quotes)

14. hit the esc key.

15. type :wq (enter) ..........that's (colon)wq then hit the enter key.

16. type reboot

you're computer will now reboot, choose linux from lilo as you normally would. if all went well (& it should have) you'll see a nvidia splash screen just before your GUI login.

also, one note. sometimes the nvidia drivers can cause random lockups. if you find that happening, use your favourite text editor, open that same XF86Config-4 file, & directly under where you changed Driver "nvidia", add the follwoing line..........

Option "NvAGP" "3" (that's Option(space)(quotes)NvAGP(quotes)(space)(quotes)3(quotes).

that will try to use the kernel agp drivers first, then nvidia agp if the kernel drivers don't work. other numerical options you can use with that are........

"0" (uses no agp support)

"1" (uses nvidia agpart only)

"2" (tries kernel agpart only)

save it, then restart X or reboot. smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

also, here's my "module" & "device" sections from XF86Config-4 that you can use for comparison. not sure if it matters, but thesesections in your post are missing some options (3d layer for glxgears in "modules" section, & vendor name/board name in "device" section.)

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "NVidia"
   BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "DPMS"
   Option "NvAGP" "3"
   Option "NoLogo" "1"
EndSection

Chris

Edited by chris z

Guest levbien

Thanks for your help guys.... But it still isnt working. I tried everything that chris said but I am still getting the "unable to initialze GLX [Cannot find NVIDIA X DRIVER]" whenever I log out.

P.S.

I am not using the 5336 drivers but rather the 6106 drivers. I tried the 5336 drivers but they dont support my card.

Edited by levbien

After a bit of googling, I found this:

Create a symbolic link and it will operate:

ln -s /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

QtCoder,

You need to disable frame buffer support in your kernel

otherwise it doesn't work (yes you need to recompile or

disable it).

After that edit your /etc/lilo.conf and change:

vga = (ie.) 768 in vga = normal

After that it should work

Here's the Link

to the site to got it from.

Thanks for your help guys.... But it still isnt working. I tried everything that chris said but I am still getting the "unable to initialze GLX [Cannot find NVIDIA X DRIVER]" whenever I log out.

P.S.

I am not using the 5336 drivers but rather the 6106 drivers. I tried the 5336 drivers but they dont support my card.

you need to make the the nvdia line is in your

/etc/modprobe.conf

someone else will have to tell you what that is or search the forum....it's all over.

also, put;

nvidia

in

/etc/modprobe.preload

You most likely will not get anything other than a black screen at boot with the nvidia driver til you pass;

splash=quiet vga=normal

to the kernel at boot through the bootloader. Framebuffer hasn't worked for me with nvidia installed for a looOOOoong time. Jerks! I prefer the verbose text-boot, but sometimes it's nice to have the gui/framebuffer boot. At least, it's nice to have the choice. I do not. GF4 MX440SE AGP 64MB.

I didn't read this entire thread, but do you have xorg's xserver or XFree86's? I'd guess XFree after a default install, so that symlink is useless.