Bad LiLo or MBR?

Guest JazzSax

Guest JazzSax

Hello All,

Just installed 10 on my machine for dual boot with 2000. After having 10 install LiLo, when I reboot I get 0's and 1's on the screen and no boot. I have 2 seperate drives that the OS's are on.

Win 2000

Drive 1 (hda) C:\ (Partition 1) 40GB

Drive 1 (hda) D:\ ( Partition 2) 40 GB

MDK10 (K:\)

Drive 2 (hdb) All MDK 40 GB

Any thoughts?....I restored the origional MBR and rebooted back into Win, but would like to have access to MDK. Haven't found a way to even access the drive. MDK restore found the install, but will not boot????

JAzz

Guest JazzSax
You could try using the first Mandrake disk to reinstall the boot loader.

Hit F1 and type in rescue

You'll see the option to reinstall the boot loader.

Hello Pzatch,

Thanks for the help, but I already tried that....multiple times, and still that same senario...0's and 1's on the screen...should I try grub or a 3rd party deal??? Thanks again

JAzz

You got me on that one. Never had that problem myself and can't remember anyone posting a solution.

I would make sure if they are ide drives that the jumper pins are set master/slave and not cable sellect. Microsoft doesn't care must about the jumpers anymore nut linux does.

See if you can't change the bios to say LBA for each hard drive instead of something else.

See if you can't get one of the live cd distros like knowpix or PClinuxOS. They run just from the cd drive and should be able to let you see if the install went well by mounting the linux hard drive partitioins and checking them out.

Since its a fresh install you can always try reinstalling. Make sure to run the MD5sums on the iso's if you still have them.

Guest dredre34

Jazz

Is your hard drive with the linux system turned on???

Same thing happened to me, except I think it was 0's and 7's, so I went in the bios and sure enough my new hardrive was turned off. Just select it to auto or on and reboot, should get the dual boot screen.

Dre

Some motherboards require you to turn off antivirus protection in the bios before updating the MBR

Hello All,

Just installed 10 on my machine for dual boot with 2000. After having 10 install LiLo, when I reboot I get 0's and 1's on the screen and no boot.  I have 2 seperate drives that the OS's are on.

Win 2000

Drive 1 (hda) C:\    (Partition 1)  40GB

Drive 1 (hda) D:\    ( Partition 2) 40 GB

MDK10 (K:\)

Drive 2 (hdb) All MDK 40 GB

Any thoughts?....I restored the origional MBR and rebooted back into Win, but would like to have access to MDK. Haven't found a way to even access the drive. MDK restore found the install, but will not boot????

JAzz