Wine Starcraft problems

I was able to get starcraft and broodwar (the expansion) to install and play fine under wine with the exception of 2 problems. One, I can't get sound to work. And two I can't get blizzard to upgrade it through battlenet (the way I normally do it). Is there anyone out there that has fixed similar problems to this?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

How did you do this I have StarCraft Broodwar and MDK10 with wine and I am having little success. I also have the StarCraft original Cd and have had little success. I have read Internet howto's (even one half translated from german) and still no success.

I have MDK 10 and the wine that is included with. Do I need WineX/Cedega?

I want to be able to play at Lans and on Battle Net, I know this has been done but I am not sure how. :help:

If anyone knows how please let me know .

Appleman1234 :D

For me I didn't do anything special. I just installed Mandrake and during install included wine. Then in my user I ran the wine config (a little different from the previous one I used in Debian) Now I used my existing Win98 partition which Starcraft is installed on also. Then I opened Konqueror and opened the starcraft exe with wine. It ran, but it's slow. But it included sound. No problems. I'm going to try with a local win directory to see if it improves performance.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dracosto

For those that do NOT run linux with a 98 partition on their hard drive it is slightly harder. My advice would be to install starcraft on the local c drive of a 98 computer under the scraft directory that you use in wine. After which you run it from windows 98 to do the patches then copy all the files from the win98 machine onto the linux machine. This has worked for me. For some reason the "NEW" patch that battle net has released refuses to run under wine. Good luck. :headbang:

BTW: :wall: As of the last 200408... release my slackware machine has not been able to run starcraft I would suggest using 200407... instead. If anyone knows how to avoid the lockup during login feel free to e-mail me. :help:

• 10 months later...