Nasty Nasty Comp Upgrade

SwiftDeath

I just upgraded my computer yesterday. And its been a very nasty upgrade. First it didn't detect the harddrive, and didn't boot but LiquidZoo helped me with that.

Then half the time the mouse wouldn't work and x wouldn't start and stuff. I won't know if these are fixed because my /etc/modprobe.conf might not have added them.

Half the time when I boot lilo freezes and it seems to freeze about every 15 mins. I dunno why. Linux supports Dual-Channel memory right?

Here are the things I upgraded

N2U400-A Motherboard (including onbard LAN and SOUND)

AMD 2700

CD-Writer

It seems my /etc/modprobe.conf is really messed up. But it may be ok but I can't tell since lilo is goofing up.

I tried adding Option "NvAGP" "3'" under my Geforce 4 Ti 4200 device in xfree86config-4. But didn't help the freezing.

Tyme suggessted doing Option "NvAGP" "1" instead but I cannot try that because lilo isn't working at the moment.

This is a huge mess and any help would be appreciated.

Review of current Problems are (to help you guys)

Constant Freezing

Inconsistent Lilo

Forgetting Hardware chanes (such as fixing mouse and x)

No Sound

Thank You,

SwiftDeath

EDIT: I forgot to mention LILO has been working off and on, its like its deciding when it wants me to boot or not. LOL

Edited by SwiftDeath

Not the most elegant solution, but why not boot from the Mdk CD and do an in place upgrade, then run updates, should preserve your settings and replace any damaged files. I haven't tried it, but it seems like an easy way out of a bad situation? Any one else try this?

Its a hella of a upgrade. Reinstalling MDK didn't help kept freezing I also tried putting in My dad's amd 2500. Which came with a fan, (we bought from AMD) so its their recommended fan. We thought it was a overheating problem but apparently not. The 2500 goes from 32 Cengrade to 43 Cenegrade in the bios after waiting a while but just about never goes higher.

The werid thing is when reinstalling mdk it always get stuck formatiing hda5. I even tried a different harddrive and it got stuck formatting on hda5. I am guessing a problem might be with my hard drive but its the same one I did before the upgrade.

(I was able to reinstall MDK fine with AMD 2700, but i did mess around with some BIOS settings)

But LiquidZoo now suspects it an AGP problem. I have a NForce Ti 4200. I have AGP 8x support enabled in the bios. Liquidzoo had me disable it now though.

My old motherboard before the upgrade was a ECS K7VTA3.

Please help me get this problem solved.

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

Edited by SwiftDeath

It's not the heat for sure, my Athlon XP 2000+ idles at 42 and loads at 48 in my Shuttle cube and never even hiccups, shouldn't be an issue until it is well above 60 in a regular tower case.

Go into BIOS and load defaults, not optmized defaults or performance defaults (which cranks everything to ideal perfromance levels), but some boards/BIOS label them as standard/factory/safe/base defaults. This will set memory timings and buses to their most conservative, then you can rule out the board as the culprit. What kind of memory did you install, and did you let it auto-detect (SPD) or did you hand-tweak the memory timing? If so, make sure they are set to auto-detect until we can rule out hardware.

As for drives...

-How many

-What size

-Master/Slave Cable Select

and what was your partitioning scheme?

Hang in there, we'll help you get through this, and maybe you'll get lucky and it was just a bad burn that new CDs will fix.

How about PSU...?

have you checked the new power requirements?

I had a PC kept locking and changing the CPU froma power hungy 1400+ to a 2000+ halved the power consumption by the CPU..

before this unexpected lockups had me adding extra fans etc etc. when it was a power problem all along!

AMD have white papers for all their chips with power ratings... or just stick an ampmeter in series with the plug!

It could be a hardware problem. The most likely suspects are the PSU and the ram. However, if it's running OK in windows that's not likely(is it??).

That's an nforce2 motherboard and you'll need the nvidia drivers to get the lan working. Also see this link re lockup problems with this mb and linux:

http://atlas.et.tudelft.nl/verwei90/nforce2/

Seems to be a problem with acpi for some. Try booting and as soon as you see the lilo screen, hit the Esc key which will bring you to a boot prompt. At the prompt type:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

"linux" is the default name for the first boot entry in mdk; if you have a different name for that boot entry, substitue it for "linux".

However, if it's running OK in windows that's not likely(is it??).

Well the PC I had problems with worked OK in windows but the problem was linux used more CPU and other parts of it that were dormant in windows...

MP3 ripping inparticular locked it up... this is what made me suspect the PSU in the first place and when I rebooted it was still reasonably cool!

My guess is that linux used the full K7 instruction set and win couldnt....

My dad let me use his AMD 2500 (barton) if I gave him my 2700 (thoroughbred). And I accepted.

I reset the bios.

Loaded Optimal Setting.

Turned off onboard sound. (Nvidida only supports sound on 2.4 kernel)

Put in a soundblaster

Installed Fedora.

Everything seems to be running so far. I haven't tried anything really intense like a game yet. BTW, FEDORA RULES. lol

I had all sorts of similar problems when I upgraded. I ended up concluding that the problem is with incompatibilities with the 2.6.x kernel and my mobo. That, and incompatibilities with acpi.

So I ended up starting over and installing kernel 2.4.25-2 (on the installation cd , but you need to enter "alt1" to get it. Provided that I left acpi alone everything works fine - except for power off after shutdown.

However, the catch is, if you have a NVidia card, you will need to install the kernel source, before running the NVidia installer. And guess what ... the source isn't on the 3 CD download set. However, it can be found on the mirrors - its about a 42 Mbyte download.

You got a 2500 Barton instead of a 2700 Thoroughbred.. damn.. you got yourself a deal.. If I were you, I overclock that sucker :)

Anyway, NForce2 motherboard is actually very good, but ECS is let's just say, a bit problematic with their quality. If it weren't for the cheap price, ECS wouldn't sell at all.