Mozilla 1.6

Guest monkeybutler

Guest monkeybutler

This is a real n00b question. Just checking the packages that come with Mandrake 10.0 and Mozilla 1.6 is listed. However after running the basic install it doesn't seem to be installed. Was this a special option to choose during the install or is going to be already installed somewhere?

Open a terminal and type:

mozilla

If it's installed then it will come on and you may need to add it to your menu. If it says it is not installed, then I suggest to either type from a terminal as root

urpmi mozilla

Or better yet, download the latest version of mozilla from www.mozilla.org.

Guest monkeybutler

did that anyway just confused why it wasn't installed with the basic package... i didn't seem to install gkrellm either... is that easy enough to install off the cd? kind of like having the system info on the desktop

did that anyway just confused why it wasn't installed with the basic package... i didn't seem to install gkrellm either... is that easy enough to install off the cd? kind of like having the system info on the desktop

urpmi mozilla gets you a newer version, same thing with gkrellm (which yes, is like sysinfo/top on the desktop with a nice, skinnable GUI). Also check out gDesklets and SuperKaramba (KDE) for more cool system monitoring tools.

Things like gkrellm are not installed by default. I suppose same with Mozilla. Mandrake installs the more comon things people use and they leave the rest up to you if you want to install other things. It's not hard though. rpmdrake will do it well. Or urpmi as well, but if you want to get the latest version of those programs using urpmi, you have to add some sources, if you don't do that you'll simply install from the cd. I don't think Mozilla 1.7 has made onto the sources yet so might have to get it from the mozilla site.

I noticed that Mozilla is not selected by default for the OS installation. You have to either select it (4 packages) during the install, OR, go to install software, and select it from there and it will install it. Mandrake will ask you for the correct CD (unless you are using a DVD version).

I don't let mandy do a default install, since there are things I like that aren't selected by default.

I noticed that Mozilla is not selected by default for the OS installation. You have to either select it (4 packages) during the install, OR, go to install software, and select it from there and it will install it. Mandrake will ask you for the correct CD (unless you are using a DVD version).

I don't let mandy do a default install, since there are things I like that aren't selected by default.

I think you have to select "Web/Internet Station" and it installs. Back when I used Red Hat 7 I used to hand pick packages, I tried it with Mdk 10 and there were just too damn many, I had to go back and tweak it but there were just sooo many choices.

What I said holds true. You HAVE to go in there and select the Mozilla packages or it won't install. That means select Individual Package Selection during the install process.

Otherwise, 'start' menu - system - configuration - install software and supply root password. Installing Mozilla also installs other packages. I try to have everything I need selected during the OS install. Then I only have to swap CDs once the main package install, for the nVidia drivers (powerpack).