Problems installing software

fiery

I followed the easyurpmi instructions 9.2 mdk logged in as root pasted into terminal window then a long download even with broadband.I see lots of software in rpmdrake now.I always get error messages when I try to install something.

post-4315-1090866256.gif

Guest Spanky

Not to steal any attention from fiery, but I'm having install problems too. Something about a C++ complier and such. My Konsole has been telling me this:

checking for g++... no

checking for c++... no

checking for gpp... no

checking for aCC... no

checking for CC... no

checking for cxx... no

checking for cc++... no

checking for cl... no

checking for FCC... no

checking for KCC... no

checking for RCC... no

checking for xlC_r... no

checking for xlC... no

checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no

checking whether g++ accepts -g... no

checking dependency style of g++... none

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp

configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

See `config.log' for more details.

I got these both when trying to install Kopete and XMMS. Any idea what that is?

Edited by Spanky

kopete and XMMS have rpm's, you don't need to be compiling them from source unless you want to (see various threads on easy urpmi to set up sources - use Mandrake Control Center -> Software). if you really, really want to, you'll need to install a lot of other rpm's such as gcc and various *-devel packages. I suggest, if you want to follow the compile-it-yourself course, or if you have any further questions, that you start a new thread on it as we like to try to keep threads to one problem (your problem is not the same as fiery's, you're both installing in different manners).

what's the error message that you get?

If it's about signatures, ignore it.

In rpmdrake I try to install xine-ui-0.9.22-5.1.92mdk and get this message:

There was a problem during the installation:

medium "contrib uses an invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up to date,trying to use alternate method

go into the media manager, remove the ones you added and try different ones listed on the easy urpmi site. the one you're trying to use might be having an issue...also make sure you're selecting the right mirrors for the version you're using.

[root@localhost priest]# urpmi.addmedia rpmplf ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

added medium rpmplf

urpmi database locked

[root@localhost priest]# urpmi eatme

urpmi database locked

[root@localhost priest]#

I broke mine it looks like, I removed the old sources from media manager and this is still all I get. I could use a hand.

The howto for this is here

priest: you possibly have MCC add remove progs open or it crashed or ...

and way the offending file is probably /var/lock/urpmi (Im at work now but that should be close)

make sure MCC is closed and you have closed any/all CLI sesions except the one your in.... then rm the lock file.

fiery: what does urpmi.updatemedia contrib say ?

if it just completes with no error try again.... if not post the errors back here!

priest:  you possibly have MCC add remove progs open or it crashed or  ...

and way the offending file is probably /var/lock/urpmi  (Im at work now but that should be close)

make sure MCC is closed and you have closed any/all CLI sesions except the one your in.... then rm the lock file.

is that in the FAQ? It should be. Only one instance of rpm can fly at one time.

I tried deleting software in rpmdrake but I think I went delete crazy because I cant launch Konqueror now and other apps!

I reloaded 9.2 logged in as root went to rpmdrake and now I see lots of software that wasnt there before!I installed mozilla,kopete and they both work nice,but how did they get there this time?

why did you delete stuff? no one here told you to go deleting things...i told you to go into the media manager through the control center, not into remove software...

chances are when you installed this time you selected more options on the software selection screen where it lists various categories of software.

also, if you have boardband, you -really- should get 10.0 instead of 9.2

9.2 is almost a year old...