Fluxbox styles

Urza9814

I've got a problem with fluxbox...everyone says it's so customizable and everything, and I see why looking at the style doc, but when I actually look at the screen, there's nothing there to customize! I've looked at dockapps, tried 4, but couldn't get any of 'em to work, and so now I don't know what to do...I want to customize it more, but I don't know how! Here's a screenshot of what I got so far: http://www.aloofhosting.com/urza9814/Linux...uxbox_swirl.jpg

I alternate bgs between that and this: http://www.aloofhosting.com/urza9814/Linux.../cyber_ball.jpg

...but to me it seems like most of the cool-ness of flux themes is the wallpaper...

So now I got a problem...I want something really customizable, but I love the tabs and stuff of Flux! I may have to use WindowMaker for looks, Flux when I actually want to USE my comp :P

crap! not again! lol

go to www.linuxinfo.tk>wallpapers>pure gimp, the last three are what I use mostly...

For the screenshot to to linuxinfo.tk>screenshots, it's the last one

There's a lot of ways to customize this. Freshmeat has a lot of themes for this. You have dockapps, gkrellm, ROX, gdesklets. I'm not sure what kind of problem you are getting when it comes to installing dockapps. There are many posts where you can get a lot of great ideas on how to customize it. The Fluxbox website is also a great resource on how to customize, configure etc. I believe iphitis also details how to do this in the faq's. If you check the post your desktop thread, you'll see many many examples on customizing Fluxbox and explainations how to do this or what to use. There's a lot to know about Flux.

Edited by spiedra

I believe iphitis also details how to do this in the faq's.

Yes, I've gotten good help from Iphitis FAQ. I've also found some good help here.

I've used Fluxbox for only three weeks, but I've already customized my desktop quite a bit.

I have had Fluxbox for about 24 hours this is what I have so far... Most of the info I got from iphitus FAQ it's really worth reading tell you a lot.

-Luis

how do you get the transparent windows??? window.alpha only makes the border transparent for me...which is what the FAQ says it does...so how'd you get the whole window?

...or does mine still not work right...lol

You can easy do this thrue Eterm, First of all make sure that your sources are set up.

Then all you have to do is su to root and type in:

uprmi Eterm

After that you are going to have to add a shorcut somewere, that I will leave for you to find out on your own, in fluxbox the best suggestion is to use a starterbar.

Anyhow where ever the shorcut might be you want to right click on it and click on Properties, then click on the Applications Tab, then where it says Command: type in the following,

Eterm -x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off

Then run Eterm and it should be transparent, anothe tip is to change the color you can do this by adding ' -f color ' and the end of the command that I gave you above ^^ Exept you will substitue ' color ' for an actuall color exam: Red, white and blue. Hope this helps,

-Luis

If you use aterm, you can do this:

aterm -tr -trsb  -fg white -fn anorexia

If you don't want it completely transparent, just put something like -sh 60 in.

To get rid of the borders/decor, create a file called apps and put this in:

[app] (aterm)
[Deco] {NONE}
[end]

Mind you, this is fake transparency. It's using your background as the wallpaper. The Aterm website explains transparency amongst other things. I prefer Eterm myself because it can do borderless as well which Luis explains. See, this is just some of the many way you can customize.

Edited by spiedra