Best Graphics Card for Gaming on Linux

maxgravitt

nvidia is the only sensible option for Linux. 100% of them work 100% of the time. The only time people have problems is when it's a true hardware conflict (in which case, it wouldn't work in windows either) or when they personaly screw something up.

matrox and integrated chipsets are worthless for gaming IMNSHO and driver support can be hit or miss with ATI.

5700ultra & ti4200 and they both work great for gaming.

Keep in mind your processor also is responsible for how well your video is pushed. If you have a slow proc and a brand spanking new 6800 it probably wont do anything different than a GF 4.

my FX5600 isn't any slower than my GF4 Ti4200 was...IMHO, it is in fact faster. but that's just my end user experience (I don't really trust benchmarks).

Well i get lower framerates for ut2004 and glxgears with the 5600 compared to the 4200 both 8X agp.

my FX5600 isn't any slower than my GF4 Ti4200 was...IMHO, it is in fact faster. but that's just my end user experience (I don't really trust benchmarks).

Well i get lower framerates for ut2004 and glxgears with the 5600 compared to the 4200 both 8X agp.

Get a 6800GT and overclock it to Ultra speed. Still over $300 though.

Well, it looks my next upgrade card will be nVidia's NV43: GeForce 6600 GT w/ AGP support.

It has 8 pipelines, 500Mhz GPU/ 128bit 1000Mhz video memory support (exact figures may differ on launch) - not a vast improvement over 9800XT but it will exhibit excellent Linux support and is reasonably priced US$ 199. NV43 will also have some fine tuning in memory performance. 3D Mark 2003 sample testing suggests it will score around 8,000. Not bad.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17619

Edited by zero0w