No graphical installation, just text (mdk 10)

orca

Hi there,

I am trying to install Mandrake 10 Official (3 CD's) on a desktop PC, with the following features: Dell XPS 400 MHz, Pentium II, 384 MB RAM, video card Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro (8 MB RAM), monitor Dell Ultrascan 1600HS (D1626H).

When I start the installation process from Installation CD 1, only a TEXT mode is loaded into memory (even if I press F1 and choose 'linux'); the installer doesn't seem to recognize, in this machine, its graphical resources (video card?). How shoul I proceed to have it working, right during the installation process and afterwards?

The weird thing is that I have already used the same CD's to install Mandrake on two other machines (another desktop and a laptop) and everything worked fine. Also, in this very same machine I am having this trouble, I previously had installed SuSE 8.1 with no problems.

If I insist trying the text installation (despite being too cumbersome), when I reach the X server or graphic configuration, I notice that, instead of having autodetected my Diamond Fire GL Pro 1000 card, it displays, if I am remember correctly, a card called Gloria (?).

Any specific information in plain English or links are much appreciated.

Thanks!

The command 'linux splash=quiet vga=normal', on the boot prompt during installation, still led to a pure text mode....

What I have been able to do was, by using CTRL+ALT+F1 through F5, to check the issuing of the following messages:

* getFile Mandrake/base/patch-oem.pl

* errorOpeningFile Mandrake/base/patch-oem.pl

* trying to load i810fb module with xres <800> (vga was <788>)

* Trying with server Driver:fbdev

* Server died

* Starting step 'selectLanguage'

and then the text mode is in forever....

Have you got any suggestions?

When you press F! check out the options.

try;

linux vgalo

Yes, the problem is your vid-card. It may be fine after install, but you have to get through that first to find out. So if your have to, do a text install. At minimum maybe X will work with one of the vegs/vga drivers.

Edited by bvc

Hi

I did a basic installation in pure text mode, though that's far from funny; anyhow, as always with Linux, I was able to learn a few interesting things...

Now, the situation is:

1) during boot, there are several initialization messages, reading: too many fs mounted, or wrong file system, or bad superblock on some partition

2) there is no graphical splash for lilo

3) I chose to boot in runlevel 3 (pure text), just in case. When I run startx, there are some flashing messages, indicating, I guess, some problems; the same happens when I log ou of X: these ones seem to be related to the kbeyboard mapping (?)

4) when I login as root, there are no icons on the lower status bar of the deskop...

Apart from this, everything seems to be working fine

Cheers

When I run startx, there are some flashing messages, indicating, I guess, some problems; the same happens when I log ou of X

can you post the messages in here? maybe we find the buggy thing.

there is no graphical splash for lilo

it just came into my mind: do you have a virus scanner enabled in your bios? this can cause a graphical "conflict" with lilo. i myself experienced lilo starting without graphical display and constantly sending error messages until i deactivated the bios-virusguard. since that day, everything works fine.

Hi there,

My first problem mentioned before (1) wrong fs type, or... was solved via another topic which I posted here (entitled windows 98 partiions unaccessible). I had to delete an option 'code=437' from the lines relative to the windows partitions in my /etc/fstab file.

I still remain with the other problems: starting X generates some flashing messages, which I will try somehow to discover what they read, and quitting it, generates other messages, which read something wrong with kbmap (or the like): it seems my keyboard keys are would be somehow confused, but I did not detect anything strange at all, up until now, at least....

The other annoying thing is that the status bar, when logged in as root, presents no icons...

Cheers!

As a root user in a gui you'll get very few if any of the fun stuff as icons. Linux (Mandrake ) assumes you know that you are the admin and should only be doing admin things.

Its recomended to always make a user for yourself and just switch user(su) to root when you need to do the big stuff.

Since you have a basic system you can now add anything you want from the three disks you downloaded.

The install option is in the MCC. And this can all be done as a user.