ksplash, How to?

jmr0311

I don't know of you guys but the login screen and the KDE splash in screen in Mandrake are so lame. I wanted to change them, so I download a few new themes. What to do with them?, well...

B) To install Ksplash Themes navigate to this directory : /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/ , install all new themes in this location. Now when you go to KDE Control Center and look for "LookNFeel - Splash Screen", the new themes are going to be display there so you can select them.

B) The only thing I install for the login screen was a new icon to be display as user in the screen. To do that find the icon of your preference and place it in this directory : /usr/share/mdk/faces/ . Now when you go to KDE Control Center and look for System - Login Manager , your new icon is going to be one of the new choice for your user display.

B) Also in if you want to change the background wallpaper when the login screen pops-up, you can do that by going to the background tab within (System - Login Manager) and browse to where you have located the wallpaper you desire to use.

This are a few things that make Mandrake/KDE looks and feels a lot better. Hope this few notes will make this experience for you so much better than what it was for me trying to figure this out and trying to find helpful references with no success. Cheeerrrsss!!!

Javi :P

Edited by jmr0311

Hi guy's again. I wanted to share something else about those modifications to mandrake. I was a little disappointed of a problem when i did the change for the background image behind the login screen pop-up. When the machine was booting up, mandrake was showing the regular blue screen with the star for a few seconds before it will change to the one I set-up and this was annoying me. What I did to correct this was to go to the directory where you save your theme ( /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/ ) and change the name of your theme to "Mandrake.png". This is the default image mandrake used, so in this case your image will be the default image and the delay is gone. Hope it help.

Javi