Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem - Working!!

lets-eat-gary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's pretty much what I think. With a difference: I don't know if it's the modem that's technically still in use or a more general USB unounting problem. See, I have the modem connected to a "dedicated" port, and the other one (yes I have only 2) is connecting a hub where I plug all the rest (including the mouse)...

I can see in /proc/bus/usb (the mountpoint it can't unmount) two directories:

/proc/bus/usb/001

/proc/bus/usb/002

There's also a file named "devices" that tells me the modem is on 002. The obvious problem is it mounts the whole USB system as a single filesystem. Thus, I can't unomunt just part of it... Can I? :unsure:

Anyway, this might be a bit longer to tweak, and I'll start another topic if I get to that....

But for now, all I wanted to know is if everyone/most have the same problem (a kind of weird speedtouchconf bug) or if it's just us pppoe wild-ass file editors that messed up something (even weirder in this case than in the former, for what I remember and little know...)

So, it's really a very simple question: When shutting down the speedtouch service, do you get an error that it is impossible to unmount /proc/bus/usb or not?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by jeanackle

Guest fcm1912

How do you edit speedtouchconf.sh?

I get the following message, after having done the whole procedure (except commenting out the bits in speedtouchconf.sh):

unable to locate software

although I did download rev4fw.zip and copy it in the same directory.

I have the silver Speedtouch 330.

Can you help? :cheeky:

Hi fcm1912 and welcome to the board!

To edit the speedtouchconf.sh file (or any other file) check the following link (it's a topic from this board's FAQ forum ;) ): http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4473

Now, about the error you got, that doesn't actually seem related to the non-editing of that file. That would rather be something like: "No USB bus found" (check post number 3 on this topic's first page...).

So, I'm not so sure what your problem is. I don't actually see how that message could show up or what it means in this particular context.

When do you get that message? Not while speedtouchconf.sh is still executing, is it? I mean, you did say you went through the whole lets-eat-gary's procedure... Successfully I presume... :cheesy:

If you ran the speedtouchconf.sh script successfully and it didn't complain that it couldn't find the firmware, then it did load the one you mentioned and it is the correct one for your modem (unless the file is corrupted or something - you might try and download it again).

So, in short, I assume you get that error after you rebooted. Can you specify exactly when? I'm not sure I can help, but I can try, and maybe someone else can if you provide more info...

Cheers,

Edited by jeanackle

Guest fcm1912

Hi jeanackle and thanks for your help,

I fixed the problem which occured while running speedtouchconf.sh. It was due to the fact that I had downloaded 4 different files of firmware and stored them all in the speedtouchconf directory, making it impossible for the script to select the right one! I moved 3 of them to another directory and just kept the rev4 one and it works perfectly now.

However, I did not get the editing procedure on the link you provided me with: from the command line, what do I have to type to edit a file? vi speedtouchconf.sh?

Cheers,

Glad you sorted that one out fcm1912! :thumbs:

However, I did not get the editing procedure on the link you provided me with: from the command line, what do I have to type to edit a file?  vi speedtouchconf.sh?

Yes, you are right, that FAQ kind of leaves that out, doesn't it? :jester:

And yes, you're two times right: typing "vi speedtouchconf.sh" (without the quotes) will edit that file.

Another way to do it would be:

1. Type in "vi" in the command line;

2. Type in ":r speedtouchconf.sh".

Of course, either way we are assuming you are already inside the directory where the speedtouchconf.sh is located. If not, and for both cases, you would have to type in the path to it before it. E.g.: "/temp/speedtouchconf/speedtouchconf.sh".

Cheers,

Guest fcm1912

Thanks again. I'm afraid I was a little overoptimistic about my speedtouch connection. When I disconnected, the only way to connect again was to run ./speedtouchconf.sh again...

Is this how it should be? :help:

Well... not really, but...

To start your speedtouch connection again, you could type in (as root[1]):

/etc/init.d/speedtouch start

or:

service speedtouch start

However, I have noticed that, sometimes, the only way to get it working again is to enter (again as root[1]):

service speedtouch reload

or:

adsl-connect

... as the firmware can be loaded only once per boot session. The above commands will only try to connect an already firmware-loaded modem... ;)

But... sometimes not even that seems to work, and the only solution then is to reboot the machine!

:sad:

NOTES:

[1] To become the root user, type in:

su -

You will be prompted for the password. Enter root's password and press the ENTER key.

You are now logged in as root, which means you have access to everything in your system! Be careful with this!

To logout of the root session, type:

exit

You are now again a normal user with normal privileges.