How I didn't get wireless working...

Guest thisuks

Guest thisuks

I mean c'mon, this is supposed to be an improvement over Winbloze and enourage people to move away from the EVIL monopoly? 'Can't get internet but I gotta different desktop. Yeah, that's really helpful...

Why can't someone come down to the level of the masses for a minute and make this wlan business easier for peeps to get working?

Afterall, nobody EVER explains if the card should be in the slot or AT WHAT POINT running ndiswrapper it should be in the slot. Maybe it NEVER needs to be in a slot? Hell, how 'am I supposed to know without some freaking CLEAR directions about the "little" stuff?

Once people start boasting all their modprobe, ndisdriver, kernel this/that, a noob completely loses track of this and becomes lost.

Here's another example -

I bring up a terminal window (btw - peeps seem to have dozens of names and acronymns for one of those) enter su, pw and I'm [root@localhost joe]#

Okay, next I type ndiswrapper (just that, because the # is already there, thanks for telling me) press enter and I get:

Usage: ndiswrapper OPTION

and then a message about manage ndis driver for... blah, blah, blah

Okay, so what do I use for OPTION? When and HOW do I tell it where my win drivers are located?

I'll pay somebody to hold my hand, I gotta have internet connection or I'm going back to Gates because my stuff works!

Edited by mystified

Moved from Tips N Tricks

hey, calm down a bit. we all know that switching to a new os can be frustrating when nothing works the way we expect it (= plug&play/use). okay, first of all: welcome! ;)

i think that your problem can be solved by our network-heros. i have done a small search (using search tool, link is above on top-right side of page) and ended up with a postings that might help you. just take a look. if nothing works, post a detailed message about your system specifications, operating system used, hardware used.

good luck. :thumbs:

here come the link:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=14972&hl=

Edited by arctic

Guest thisuks
hey, calm down a bit. we all know that switching to a new os can be frustrating when nothing works the way we expect it (= plug&play/use). okay, first of all: welcome! ;)

i think that your problem can be solved by our network-heros. i have done a small search (using search tool, link is above on top-right side of page) and ended up with a postings that might help you. just take a look. if nothing works, post a detailed message about your system specifications, operating system used, hardware used.

good luck.  :thumbs:

here come the link:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=14972&hl=

Thanks for your help and I've been there, done that with that thread. You see, peeps with win/dos background who are trying to migrate to this OS NEED to be pointed to the basic UNIX commands and how the CLI works before attempting anything like ndiswrapper and stuff like that.

Sure, if you get lucky and it works right out of the distro package, that's fine and dandy but once you need to massage a hardware problem, it should be made very clear that a win/dos person will need some basic UNIX CLI info to navigate the issues.

'Sure would have saved a BUNCH of time and headaches for me instead of everybody just telling me how easy it is and to follow the directions exactly. How's that gonna work if someone, like me, doesn't even know secret codenames like CLI or how to navigate file permissions? Hell, I couldn't even tell the difference between a file and directory the fist time I read that HowTo?

'Getting better and perhaps I will eventually get there but this OS and the learning curve is EXTREMLY crippled without internet connection and a basic understanding of UNIX.

i agree, starting with a networking problem is one of the hardest lessons to start with for any newbie to linux and me, too, i was quite frustrated first and i really didn't know how to use the command line. but after some months, trying to working with linux, i finally adopted and began to love this os. just as everyone else who now uses linux, i think. sure, you have to learn a bit, but i must also point out that there is lots of newbie-material on the net caring about adopting to linux. one, e.g. called "complete idiots guide to linux". okay, stupid name, but it helped me with my first steps. :thumbs:

as you might have seen, we do have a lot of howtos in this forum and elsewhere on the net. if you encounter problems with linux, try to use these. remember, you can always have a dual-boot with linux and win on one harddrive, so net access is still there via windows until the linux-problem gets solved. but i also have to say that networking problems in windows are sometimes even more frustrating. i do remember the time, when i switched from dial-up modem to adsl-modem, i was one whole months without net-access because the bloody thing that kept me out of the net was a somehow strange windows registry entry and it took the computer experts of my internet-supporter several weeks to find the bug. my linux connection was nearly painless (my only problem was a broken cable).

one final statement: yes, sometimes, people answer in a "crippled, encrypted, mystic" languace with isp, cli, ifconfig etc., but if you don't understand the things they say, just ask. we all started as noobs and not knowing something is nothing to be ashamed of. :)

thisuks

Lucky for you, your on one of the best forums on the internet to learn Linux. Ask a question on some other forums, and you often get told to RTFM ( READ THE ****ING MANUAL)

We don't say that here, but as you can imagine, being an international forum its often diffucult to guess the level of knowledge a member might have.

Many of us come from a windoze background, and the learning curve can be steep (even painful) , but if your willing to stick with it, you will find the Linux operating system the most stable, secure and reliable operating system available.

This board is run by volunteers, nobody gets paid or feels obliged to answer any questions. Many of us have been through the frustration your now suffering but try to be patient, your not going to learn it all over night. If you don't understand an answer given, say so! Were not mind readers. ;)

Guest thisuks

Well, I do wanna touch base share that I did get things working or at least I can get internet access with that card and box. 'Sorry for the PO'd nature of this OP but it's 'fairly daunting task for stoopid peeps and I burned around 40hrs. on this issue.

But now that I have some sleep and connection capability I will try to sort out what I have done and need to improve on. Thanks for the PM's and kind offers of assistance, I will be back with my Linux box ASAP.