I can't install Fluxbox!

Urza9814

I've used Fluxbox for almost 3 years, made a bunch of customized themes, played around plenty, but I've never had anything like the problems you have. It just works for me, and always has. Any problems I've had were self-induced, like typos in theme files, etc. And from your posts, I can't make heads or tails outta what you've done, so I don't know how to help you.

Maybe the best thing for you to do is uninstall everything, reinstall it from scratch and go from there - after you do some reading. Then try posting any problems on the Flux forum.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That didn't work...

I've got a bit more info on this now...but it's still really weird...

1) transparency only doesn't work on my style...the others just didn't seem to have it working because the bg was usually the same color as the menu

2) if I'm in another style and set it transparent, whatever comes in through the transparency...wait...I GOT IT!

It's pulling what is behind the transparency from chbg or whatever...so when I set the bg directly from the style, it shows it as the bg, but the other bgs are being set a different way apparently and the transparency only picks up on that other form...so if I set it with chbg the transparency works, but if not, it doesn't. Seems kinda weird, but I can live with it...if I can figure out how to do chbg from command line so I can have it start on boot...

What version of fluxbox do you have?

fluxbox -v

if it doesnt say anything, or gives an error, you probably have 0.1.14. It is O L D. Updgrade. reasons are in the ..guess what! FAQ!

If there isnt a ~/.fluxbox/styles/

make one, its a directory, then put styles from the links in hte FAQ into there after extracting them

The FAQ descibes how to PROPERLY set the wallpaper. fbsetbg

Edited by iphitus

this is truly strange. i have flux 0.98 on my box and do not have any probs. and the wallpaper-thing... you can add the path to the wallpaper in the theme-file (simply edit it with kate or something similar), so it will be there on every startup.

yes, the wallpaper is there at startup, but it's not being applied by any program, and so the transparency doesn't work with it...other than that everything seems to be working now...

When I just used fbsetbg on my flux (0.9.9 on a Fedora Core 1), I couldn't get transparency to work, but when I use fbsetbg filename -l it works perfect.

fbsetbg doesn't work for me...lol...I'll try it again though...finally pulling my MMO (which has really died by now...why am I bothering?) out of beta testing (about a month after I said I would :P), so I'm on winblows for a few minutes...

edit:

Woah! it worked! excellent!

Edited by Urza9814

I personally don't use the startup file fluxbox provides. I made my own autostart.sh script which works the same. I use Esetroot to set my background which enables transparency, but you have to add then line:

session.screen0.rootCommand:    sh /home/username/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

In your init file located in /home/usernmame/.fluxbox

Here's an example of what I have in my autostart:

Esetroot  /home/spiedra/.fluxbox/backgrounds/sephiroth.jpg

gkrellm -w &

rox -l=Desktop &

xscreensaver &

play /home/spiedra/downloads/sounds/Dance\ Startup.mp3

You may find this to work better.

Hey iphitus:

I have to say I just installed Flux 0.9.9 from having 0.1.14 and I have to say it's extemly sexy. It's bloody awsome!

Edited by spiedra

I'm having trouble getting dockapps to start on boot...typing in konsole 'wmcpuload', 'wmclockmon', and 'wmxmms' brings 'em up fine, but putting this in the style file doesn't work:

rootCommand:                    wmcpuload &
rootCommand:                    wmclockmon &
rootCommand:                    wmxmms &
rootCommand:                    fbsetbg /home/urza9814/Documents/LinuxSite/images/wallpaper/minimal.jpg -l

However, it sets the wallpaper fine...

Hello,

I'm not familiar with what you are using to start up programs but this is what I'm doing to start up programs...This is mostly from iphitus FAQ.

Open up console su to root and type in,

kwrite ~/.fluxbox/startup

This will allow you to put in the programs you want to start on boot, this is where I put my program towards the bottom,

# And last but not least we start fluxbox.
# Because it is the last app you have to run it with ''exec'' before it.
gaim & 
Eterm -x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off &
Eterm -x -0 --trans --buttonbar 0 --scrollbar=off &
acme &
kmix &
gdesklets &
gdesklets GoodWeather.display &

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox
# or if you want to keep a log:
# exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox -log ~/.fluxbox/log

As you can see you pretty much have to put your program before the exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox

As you see I have the Eterm which I run 2 of them, the eterm stuff I gave to you in your other post on making it transparent after you do this just save it and try again restarting fluxbox and see if it started your apps.

-Luis

rootCommand:                    wmcpuload &

rootCommand:                    wmclockmon &

rootCommand:                    wmxmms &

rootCommand:                    fbsetbg /home/urza9814/Documents/LinuxSite/images/wallpaper/minimal.jpg -l

Try taking out the rootCommand: so you have this:

wmcpuload &

wmclockmon &

wmxmms &

rootCommand:                    fbsetbg /home/urza9814/Documents/LinuxSite/images/wallpaper/minimal.jpg -l

Edited by spiedra