Cedega/WineX

Ok, before you say it, I know Transgaming has a list of games on their website that they say are compatible (or, some that aren't) but I want your feedback.

What games have you played (the newer the better) that work well with Cedega/WineX? I'm really interested in newer ( < 6 months) games, but if there's a really good game out there that can still be purchased that runs well, please let us know. I want the feedback of this forum, cause I trust all of your opinions.

If there are any strange quirks to getting the game installed, please share them.

Also, in case anyone is wondering; I am subscribed to Transgaming and have been for over a year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault : Breakhrough.

Warcraft 3 with a little tweaking.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne with a little tweaking.

Those games have worked for me well under Cedega. Its really hard to get theWAR3 expansion to install if your using P2P

I don't use p2p, ever. I don't like it at all.

You say 'with a little tweaking' What kind of tweaking? That's a game that I was going to get (BattleChest for $39.98 at WalMart) but I want to know your experience and your tweaking before I do anything.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. The main game plays well, sound and everything. I'm not sure about the extension packs (Tribunal and Bloodmoon) though.

And Deus Ex... can't say I really tried much more games than those.

Warcarft 3 - worked first time, NO tweaking whatsoever. Runs better than it did in Windows (seriously).

Diablo 2 - Work fine. Again - no tweaking required as of Cedega 4.

Counter Strike - Sometimes needed to restart it when joining a new network game. Minor annoyance. (Haven't played it with Cedega 4).

That's about all I use it for really...

I was able to get both Madden 2k3 and Madden 2k4 ( both American football games, for those outside the US)to work, but you'll ned to use a no cd crack. Also all the helmets were black in 2k4, but I haven't tried any tweaaking on it yet.

Also Red Faction works pretty well, Red Faction 2 wont install.

I think next I'm going to install some of my daughters games just to see if they work ( she has a few that lock up in windows so they will be first)

Edited by grendal

Tribes2, you have to install the updates before it will run, but that's al.

Deer Avenger, windows classic, you should find a copy. It's joyfull.

Geometer's sketchpad. This works in Wine too, but better in cedega.

Black and White. There's a known registry bug that keeps you from changing settings but the game runs fine.

That's realy all i've tried lately.

edit* I also think Point To Play, sucks big floppy donkey d....... It stores each game in it's own litle folder with it's own system files, it's own registry and it's own symlinks. Makes expansion packs useless.

Edited by VeeDubb

Here's an update to what I've tried so far, as well as my results; ymmv:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Installed flawlessly thanks to an installer that you can get here: http://www.kratz00.org/linux/installer.php (I forget who gave me this link, but thanks) You have to modify the start script that is created if you have cedega, but the game runs flawlessly from what I've seen so far. As a note, this game would not run at all for me, even using this installer, with WineX 3.3 and XFree86. Don't know the story there, but I am the only person I've found with those same issues.

Battlefield 1942 (and expansions) - Installs perfectly. I recommend having 2 terminals open, one to launch the installer (from a directory other than /mnt/cdrom, of course) and one to unmount/mount the cd's. I haven't played this yet

Warcraft 3 (and expansion) - Installed like a dream. Works great

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Installs great. Follow the same 2 terminal instructions from above. The installer might run a little slower than it's Windows counterpart, but it's barely noticable.

QUOTE(SwiftDeath @ Jul 24 2004, 07:14 AM)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault : Breakhrough.

Just to point out that this is now available natively...

I know theirs a native Allied Assault version, but I was never ever to find one that supports the expansion breakthrough. If You do I'd glady appreciate it, or even if you just told me a dedicated server script.

The only tweaking I had to too to Warcraft III was add -opengl after the command so it wouldn't be so laggy.

Everquest works well with Cedega 4.

Get a minor sound glitch here and there but nothing really bad enough to be annoying.

If you're looking for games to pick up and have a quick play with though, don't go for EQ.

As you probably know it takes a big time investment to get the most from the game (not to mention monthly subscription fees!)

someone say evercrack?

i broke my addiction last summer, only go back once every couple of months for maybe a day or two before i realize why i left - too much time, too little return.

I'm forever laughing at one of my friends. He went out and bought Star Wares: Galaxies the day it came out and promptly became an addict. He even tried buy copies for his friends and buying them subscriptions. Of course, since I was on linux, I was saved. Of course, he tried to get me to dual boot so I could play it.

Anyway, nobody else got into it and he hadn't slept with his wife in over a month because he was spending all his time playing. (I should point out they had been married less than a year at the time)

He finaly figured out that it was unhealthy and cancled his multiple subscriptions and stopped playing.

2 Months later he bought City of Heroes and I've only gotten him and his wife over for dinner once since then because he plays it almost as much.

I don't know what it is, buyt there is something about those games that is just not right.

Edited by VeeDubb

I'm forever laughing at one of my friends.  He went out and bought Star Wares: Galaxies the day it came out and promptly became an addict.

I beta tested it. It wasn't all that great, to be honest.