Vmware

I got this message trying to run vmware:

[gregory@localhost gregory]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost gregory]# vmware &

[1] 2621

[root@localhost gregory]# vmware-config.pl

Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:

Virtual machine monitor [ OK ]

grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your

running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for

your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Can somebody help me with this problem?

Thanks,

Gregory

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the 4.5.2 version and I get the same problem. Somebody has told me that I have to recmpile vmware. and I need to install gcc compiler. I installed the compller and I get this message

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

What does I need to fill in?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dragonhead

I'm running Mandrake 10 on VMware 4.5.2 with all vmtools installed completely. I had to compile a newer kernel first, but I don't know yet if that's absolutely necessary. I compiled the new kernel (2.6.3-15) and pointed that questions (C header question) answer to /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-15mdk/include and the vmtools modified themselves to my current running kernel version. I also was having a problem when in BASH with doubled screen and tiny text or sometimes even a qudrupled screen and tiny text which can be fixed by modifying lilo.conf for booting the Linux vmlinuz in "normal" mode, rather than using the double buffer extension. Everything works great. I modified the lilo when installing to take care of the double screens, then configured eth0 (bridged) with a static IP (I'm not running DHCP, but I'm sure DHCP would work too), then updated by RPM all available updates, then jumped to CLI as root and ran urpmi kernel-source. Compiled the kernel and installed vmtools. All is working as supposed to be. I'm pretty proud of myself because I am a complete newbie at Linux and VMware. If anybody wants detailed instructions of all steps taken, then maybe I can post it. Cheers :)

Guest Dragonhead

Got samba up and running. I can share with my windows network fine, but I still don't know how to change my linux workgroug name yet and have them all in the same group. I had to change a few permissions. They show up as two groups with the linux given the default name "MDKGROUP". More reading it looks like. I finally got the sound going right too. I had to change the driver.